PDA

View Full Version : Upper Ball Joint Replacement

86AccordLxi
02-17-2003, 04:00 PM
Alright, all 4 upper ball joints are bad, and I need to replace them. Can someone walk me through the steps so i don't f*** anything up. I did the search, and found out some info from previous posts, but since I'm new to these things, I'd rather get a step-by-step post. Thanks everyone.

Alex

edit: Can I also get part numbers and stores to get the ball joints cheap from. So far rockauto.com seems to be the cheapest place, I'd just like to verify some part numbers so i don't get the wrong stuff.

dj99
02-17-2003, 06:58 PM
I'm gonna replace my front upper ball joints (control arms w/joints) tomorrow with the Moog replacements from rockauto. They ran about $61 each, not including the bushings for about $23 each. I got them today, and they are quality Japanese stuff. I'm not 100% sure you have to replace the bushings, but I ordered new ones anyway to be sure. If they are still good, you can have the old ones if yours are shot. I'll be an expert after tomorrow.

From the service manual, you basically:
1. lift the car
2. wire the knuckle to the spring so it doesn't flop
3. separate the upper ball joint from the knuckle
4. undo the 2 bolts in the engine bay
5. remove the control arm
6. disassemble the bolt & remove the control arm bushings for reuse if they are tight.
7. grease it ALL back up and seal the underside of the bolt head and the nut before you tighten it back up with the bolts heading the same way to 40 lb/ft.
8. reinstall the arm to the body and tighten the nuts to 53 lb/ft
9. install the arm to the knuckle and tighten the castle nut to 32 lb/ft & replace the cotter pin
10. take the wire off the knuckle
11. put the wheel back on
12. get thee to the alignment shop ASAP (at least I'm going to)

The rear control arms are simpler, just pop, unbolt & replace. I bought 2 on ebay, for $35 and $27.

Wiggle your tie rod ends while you're in there. I was shocked at how loose mine were. They are getting replaced with Moogs too for about $15 each.

I am also replacing the original stock struts and springs too.

Good luck with your project! :tongue:

86AccordLxi
02-17-2003, 08:14 PM
So I should replace the whole control arm rather than just the ball joint?

Alex

dj99
02-17-2003, 08:40 PM
It is not replaceable without the arm. :eek:

That's why people keep talking about prelude arms that have adjustable & replaceable joints. If you want to go that way, you have to add washers to make it fit your accord.

dosh8er
02-17-2003, 09:20 PM
uhm, yeah. To replace the Upper ball joints on the 3g accords, you must remove the A-arm with the ball joint attached. IT's a fairly easy process. First, loosen the ball joint from lower arm piece, and then locate the two bolts that go up through your fender into engine compartment. Get those nuts off, and get it outta there. If you buy oem parts from a store or hondaautomotiveparts.com , you'll get the a-arm/b-joint, but there's a metal tube that goes through the a-arm that is threaded for two bolts on each end of a-arm. You'll need that threaded rod/tube off the old one, and put it on the new one.

Wish i had pictures :( , I could explain better.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
02-18-2003, 12:11 AM
There's a really cost effective way of replacing these joints. There is an invidual on Ebay selling the rear upper control arms for $14.95 a piece. These come with both upper ball joint and inner control arm busings.

You can also purchase the front upper control arms, which come with the upper ball joints. There are several online parts store that sell both the left & right for around $45 each.

You will need to purchase new bushings and bushing seals if they are worn. When I replaced mine, I found that the bushings were still good (even after 300K miles), however the seals were shot. It's too bad that I had already purchased new bushings. Bushings are about $10-$15 each. You will need four.

Claude

greekguy7
02-18-2003, 05:27 AM
Yes... faily easy job as long as u follow the step above.

The hardest part may be to "disassemble the bolt & remove the control arm bushings for reuse if they are tight." because you may find the bolts too tight especially if you dont have a vise.

Worst cae, take the old control arm assembly to a shop, have them take it apart and tell them to press your new bushings and the shaft from your old arm onto your new arm.

anchovies
02-18-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by greekguy7

The hardest part may be to "disassemble the bolt & remove the control arm bushings for reuse if they are tight." because you may find the bolts too tight especially if you dont have a vise.

Drive your car on to the arm, then you can remove the bolts easily. That's what I did :D

dj99
02-18-2003, 03:22 PM
Today, I replaced the left upper control arm and bushings. It wasn't too hard, especially since I had new bushings and seals to use. I had to move the wiper motor to get to the nuts. On the other side, I'll have to move the mystery box. Turns out the left wheel bearing is shot too. The hub wiggles. I have the steering knuckle in the shop getting a new ball joint ($22 :) ) & bearing ($60 :( ).