PDA

View Full Version : battery light and lights bright at 2k rpm

profquad
11-25-2017, 11:11 AM
Recently my alternator died on my 1986 accord lxi hatchback (automatic). That morning it started with some squealing then the lights started failing. I lurched into a gas station and couldnt get it to restart. Got a reman alt installed through a shop (told them to remove the air filter and go up through there, saved $120 in labor that way). Started up fine, but now the battery light comes on above 2k rpm and the dash and headlights get noticeably brighter there too.
Not sure if I got a bum alternator with loose brushings, I have new belts, might be too tight? Battery is relatively new too. Is it grounding? wires seem fine.. any help? oh, also got the pgm light on for general electrical problem

Shane86
11-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Recently my alternator died on my 1986 accord lxi hatchback (automatic). That morning it started with some squealing then the lights started failing. I lurched into a gas station and couldnt get it to restart. Got a reman alt installed through a shop (told them to remove the air filter and go up through there, saved $120 in labor that way). Started up fine, but now the battery light comes on above 2k rpm and the dash and headlights get noticeably brighter there too.
Not sure if I got a bum alternator with loose brushings, I have new belts, might be too tight? Battery is relatively new too. Is it grounding? wires seem fine.. any help? oh, also got the pgm light on for general electrical problem

Replace the alternator

profquad
11-25-2017, 08:34 PM
Replace the alternator
yeah i mean i just did. trying to find another solution besides that

Shane86
11-26-2017, 01:27 AM
yeah i mean i just did. trying to find another solution besides that

if your battery light is flickering or coming on you got a bad alternator replace It. check engine Light come on on the dash check the ECU count the flashes to see what code it is. If it was done at a shop take it back you have to have some kind of 30 day warranty

profquad
12-04-2017, 09:31 AM
still looking for help on this. alternator tests fine

Shane86
12-04-2017, 11:51 AM
still looking for help on this. alternator tests fine

So the alternator was taken off the car and test it on a machine??

Oldblueaccord
12-05-2017, 02:20 AM

The only other thing I can think of if the cable to battery connections are original they wont tighten down enough to hold good on newer batteries. tight as it goes and you an twist them right off.

Hauntd ca3
12-05-2017, 12:46 PM
It sounds like its over charging to me

Dr_Snooz
12-06-2017, 09:19 PM
x2. Swap that crap out before you burn something up.

It's pretty hard for me to take the Autozone alternator tests seriously when they test my alternator and say it's good, but when I test it according to the shop manual, it tells me to replace it.

Download the 89 Accord Service Manual from here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzcxevmh7x4c5r4/1989%20Accord%20Service%20Manual.pdf?dl=0) and test your charging system using the flowcharts starting on p. 24-20. If you lack some of the tools, go to Harbor Freight and buy them. They'll pay for themselves soon enough.

profquad
12-14-2017, 03:08 PM
Closure: got another alternator for $75 from an actual alternator joint. revving up w no problems now. Gonna head up to that other mechanic who sold me that $120 piece of O'Reilly's reman garbage and try to get my money back.
For posterity: taking out the air filter and pulling it through there works great, dont go the crazy way suggested in the manual!
Thanks everybody!

Shane86
12-14-2017, 09:23 PM
Closure: got another alternator for $75 from an actual alternator joint. revving up w no problems now. Gonna head up to that other mechanic who sold me that $120 piece of O'Reilly's reman garbage and try to get my money back.
For posterity: taking out the air filter and pulling it through there works great, dont go the crazy way suggested in the manual!
Thanks everybody!

Glad you got it fixed. Go beat the hell out of them lol

gp02a0083
12-15-2017, 06:02 AM
a good majority of the time the voltage regulators go bad, very well could have been the case with the reman alternator. I agree Snooz and Haunted, sounds like too high of system voltage. Great you got the issue sorted out.

DanJDT
12-15-2017, 11:58 PM
Yeah, sometimes remaned is just as bad as buying from the junk yard. I usually have mine tested 4 or 5 times before i leave. Sounds like you got one that probably tested fine once and after that its no bueno.

Glad you got it figured out before you burnt something up.