PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt/Water Pump 89 Accord LX

Rebzy92
12-04-2017, 05:28 AM
I've come to believe I've skipped time in my 89 accord lx.. If this is the case, is it necessary to replace the water pump with the timing belt or can I just replace the timing belt without messing with the water pump?

Shane86
12-04-2017, 03:15 PM
I've come to believe I've skipped time in my 89 accord lx.. If this is the case, is it necessary to replace the water pump with the timing belt or can I just replace the timing belt without messing with the water pump?

to get to the timing belt you got to remove the power steering belt the alternator waterpump belt lower crankshaft pulley and both upper and lower timing belt cover. but you can check the timing by removing the top timing belt cover and rotating to top dead Center and there's a little hole in the transmission where you can look at the flywheel and look for a t mark

Dr_Snooz
12-06-2017, 09:22 PM
You can replace it without doing the water pump. The water pump is recommended, but not required.

Oldblueaccord
12-07-2017, 01:00 AM
You can replace it without doing the water pump. The water pump is recommended, but not required.

I agree that the old adage change it while its apart was a good one the problem is the new part is usually some piece of junk. If its not leaking I would let it roll.

You may want to feel the timing belt tensioner its a big bearing that maybe has gone bad.

Dr_Snooz
12-07-2017, 07:20 PM
There's no describing the feeling when you do a ton of work to replace the timing belt and the water pump begins howling a few days later........

DanJDT
12-16-2017, 12:11 AM
You can do all the work to get to it twice. Or once. However you prefer.