PDA

View Full Version : Prices and brands...

88accordlxcarb
02-17-2003, 06:49 PM
I know this has been asked lots, and i have seen some threads about it, but i thought i would double check, as i want to lower my car baddly.

I want to lower it 1.5". That way i dont have to mess with a camber kit. I know i will need new struts. But, i am a little confused with the best brands, and what exactly i will need to do the job(my dad will be doing it). I dont want a stiff ride, i mean i know it will become more stiff, but i dont want it XTREMELY stiff, you know?

What would be the best brand to use? Also how much would the combined cost be?

Thanks 3geez gods!! :bow:

bobafett
02-17-2003, 06:54 PM
if youre lowering your car. most people will say to get koni struts.. i agree. i have konis in the front and tokicos in the rear, (to save $$$) and its nice. although if i had it to do over, i would have saved longer, and gotten all 4 konis.

its firm, but not uncoformatble. you will love the handling. and hate riding in cars with "stock" suspension after a while! :)

once i put on ground control springs it was much more firm! but handles great still! :)

your best bet is h&r springs. for about 150-200
and then konis for around 110 a corner. total cost will be about 600, give or take; by the time youre all done. also you should be getting an alignment after you lower your car. :)

pmip
02-17-2003, 07:01 PM
I would agree with Bobafett, H&R springs and Koni specials would probably be the way to go. I would just get you're allignment checked afterwards just in case, but with a 1.5" drop, you probably won't need prelude arms (unless your allignment is already off).

Jims 86LXI HB
02-17-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by 88accordlxcarb
I know this has been asked lots, and i have seen some threads about it, but i thought i would double check, as i want to lower my car baddly.

I want to lower it 1.5". That way i dont have to mess with a camber kit. I know i will need new struts. But, i am a little confused with the best brands, and what exactly i will need to do the job(my dad will be doing it). I dont want a stiff ride, i mean i know it will become more stiff, but i dont want it XTREMELY stiff, you know?

What would be the best brand to use? Also how much would the combined cost be?

Thanks 3geez gods!! :bow:

Well jason based on what you want, the other's are giving you the correct advice. Koni specials for the struts and H&R springs. That will give you handling improvements and your ride quality won't be overly stiff and unforgiving. The H&R springs are $150 at www.optauto.com and the Koni's are $424+ free shipping at www.shox.com

BTW, I learned the hard way. I ran the wrong struts at first with my H&R's. I tried the Bilsteins, but quickly found out they like most of the struts made for our cars, they did not have enough stiffness to deal with a stiffer lowering spring. So I got Koni's for the front and rear. Night and day better. Latter I decided to send those Bilsteins off to be revalved stiffer, that took care of them. I revalved them cause I was planning of getting something really stiff, but unfortunately the car got wrecked and I never got the chance.

pearldrop
02-18-2003, 08:20 AM
I would agree with Bobafett, H&R springs and Koni specials would probably be the way to go. I would just get you're allignment checked afterwards just in case, but with a 1.5" drop, you probably won't need prelude arms (unless your allignment is already off).

You will need an alignment if you lower it. Even if you don't need a camber kit, the toe and caster will be off if you change anything at all. If the toe is off it will eat tires 10x faster than bad camber.

88accordlxcarb
02-19-2003, 06:48 PM
Looks like i will have to save more!! Thanks guys.

Grant2k
02-20-2003, 08:23 AM
i can't leave without saying Neuspeed. they are just like the H&Rs, and.... well, they are just like the H&Rs apparently, get whichever you find cheaper.

Jims 86LXI HB
02-20-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Grant2k
i can't leave without saying Neuspeed. they are just like the H&Rs, and.... well, they are just like the H&Rs apparently, get whichever you find cheaper.

I fully agree, even though H&R will flat out NOT tell you what their spring rates are. One of the techs from Bilstein and I both figured out the the H&R and neuspeed spring rates are the same. That is why in the "spring stiffness over stock spring" post, they are listed together. www.nopionline.com has the neuspeeds for $130, $20 less than what you can get the H&R's for.

NeubJ
05-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Is that the best price anyone has found for Koni