PDA

View Full Version : 89 accord Carb, auto. Hard to start and dies on the road sometimes.

metrock
12-13-2017, 06:56 AM
So this morning when I tried to start my car it was very hard to start. The weird thing is that it would run with the key turned all the way to crank. After a few tries it kept running. Drove about 60 miles and dies on my way to work. Same issue as when i started it up first thing this morning. It would run with key turned all the way to the crank position and revved up to about 3000 rpm's. At this point the accord would keep running. Any ideals on what may be causing this to happen? Sorry if this topic has been addressed on this forum in the past. I love this car but she is making it hard to keep loving her. She only has a 139,000 miles.

Thanks for the help,

Dr_Snooz
12-13-2017, 07:16 PM
Almost sounds like a bad ignition switch.

metrock
12-14-2017, 09:05 AM
I agree. I did some more trouble shooting and found that the ignition switch has a sweet spot. You can wiggle the key and get it to run. How hard is the ignition switch to replace? Should I replace the switch and the harness? Thank you for the help.

metrock
12-14-2017, 10:05 AM
Would a ignition switch harness from a 87 accord work? Does matter if its a 5-speed or auto?

DanJDT
12-15-2017, 11:55 PM
Seems like it should work.

Dont quote me on it tho. As long as the harness/wires are the same. I wouldnt buy one from the junk yard tho. Might end up in the same boat in a week.

DanJDT
12-16-2017, 12:25 AM
Hey so when you say it was running with the key cranked all the way to start was the started still engaged?

Dr_Snooz
12-17-2017, 09:48 PM
The switch should come with a length of harness and a wire connector on it. That's all you need. The years all use the same switch. They do fail, but not often, so if money is tight, you can take a flyer on a junkyard part. Just get the warranty so you can exchange it if need be. It takes maybe 30 minutes to swap one out.