PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Should I take off P/S belt ?

AC439
12-17-2017, 05:08 AM
I poked around the forum about P/S leak.... I do have a pretty bad P/S leak and intend to change out the rack completely. But it will not be done soon so should I take out the P/S belt to disable the hydraulic part of the system until I can get the rack changed ? Since it may be a while before the fix so I'm not sure if it will cause more problems to the pump's seal if it is not running for a while. I hate to find out after replacing the rack, then I get to work on the pump. Or I should keep topping up the PS fluid till I can get the rack replaced ?

Maurice
12-17-2017, 05:19 AM
I poked around the forum about P/S leak.... I do have a pretty bad P/S leak and intend to change out the rack completely. But it will not be done soon so should I take out the P/S belt to disable the hydraulic part of the system until I can get the rack changed ? Since it may be a while before the fix so I'm not sure if it will cause more problems to the pump's seal if it is not running for a while. I hate to find out after replacing the rack, then I get to work on the pump. Or I should keep topping up the PS fluid till I can get the rack replaced ?Had a bad leak removed mine long time ago never bothered repairing it. man should use their muscles proper [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Dr_Snooz
12-17-2017, 09:58 PM
Probably won't matter. The only real risk leaving it on is that you'll run the system dry and wreck the pump that way. I've also driven them in the past sans belt, without issue.

AC439
12-20-2017, 12:41 PM
I have been adding fluid at times. Sometimes, I see a puddle of fluid under the passenger's side. Then I knew it just had that moment that spit out a lot of fluid. I have been using Prestone p/s fluid for Honda until I can get the rack replaced. So, I am thinking might as well take the belt off so I don't have to keep adding fluid.

Dr_Snooz
12-20-2017, 07:40 PM
Not a bad idea. Isn't this like the 4th rack for you or am I thinking of someone else here?

AC439
12-22-2017, 04:23 AM
Nope. My rack is all original. Only thing I have changed out regarding P/S is the high pressure hose. The intermittent shooting leak now is from the side under passenger and there's where the puddle of the PS fluid found . I ended up remove the belt yesterday since the fluid was low and I have no more fluid to add.

I am going to order a rack and pinion set. I am digging forum for installation tips.

I am trying to picture how do I center the rack before I connect the clamp from the steering wheel. Do I count how many turns going all the way from left to right (or right to left) then I turn the shaft exactly half way and then I connect the clamp of the steering wheel assembly with the steering wheel centered ? Or I just put everything together first, then turn steering wheel from left to right, count total turns, turn back half of the turns, loosen steering wheel clamp, then center steering wheel and tighter steering wheel clamp on the rack ?

Also, some post mentioned about a electrical plug on the rack. I have looked through many pictures on the internet of the rack and do not see anything like a connector. I have a 86 LXi, does anyone know if mine does not have the plug ? I checked the Rockauto site and, you know, it says fit 86-89 but doesn't really go down into different trims. I had bad experience with rockauto before with something they posted fit but it doesn't and it went into a finger pointing game. I don't want to pull off the old rack than find out the new rack does not fit or missing a electrical connector.

Dr_Snooz
12-22-2017, 09:19 PM
I don't think I'd worry too much about the steering wheel. Centering the steering wheel is part of any alignment job, which should be the VERY first thing you do after finishing the install. I'd say spend your time thinking about how to get the alignment somewhat close so you don't ruin your tires on the way to the alignment shop. I don't think there are any connectors on these racks, but I'll let someone else confirm that.

AC439
12-24-2017, 12:51 PM
ok, thanks. I have been doing my DIY alignment past 15+ years with pretty good accuracy so I am confident that it would not be a problem. I won't worry about the electrical connector then.

derolph
12-31-2017, 10:19 AM
I had a sudden episode of power steering fluid leaking about 7 months ago, just a day after having the car in a repair shop for some front brake work. I was planning for replacement of the steering rack but, after adding AutoZone's power steering fluid product formulated for Honda and continuing to drive the car while closely monitoring the fluid level and adding more as needed, the leaking subsided to a very minor amount and, therefore, I have not replaced the steering rack (still have the original).

AC439
01-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Good for you. Mine was having a slow leak to start with, then once in a blue moon, I have a big puddle of PS fluid on the ground. I have been using the Prestone PS for Honda. Maybe I can try the autozone one. But my rack is original and the boots are cracked so I'm thinking changing it out completely.

derolph
01-06-2018, 08:16 AM
The labor time to install a steering rack is high. So, if you can do it yourself, you'll save a lot of money. I really don't want to tackle that project myself.

AC439
01-07-2018, 11:00 AM
After I have the PS belt off, now the car is fully manual steering. Still I have puddle of fluid on the ground. I think the recent cold blast surely help shrink the seals more and they just leak out. I don't worry about replacement cost. I have a friend owns his shop so I'm all set with that. Just need to get the rack and time to go do it.

Shane86
01-10-2018, 02:15 AM
Not a bad idea. Isn't this like the 4th rack for you or am I thinking of someone else here?

That's me :)

Shane86
01-10-2018, 02:23 AM
Nope. My rack is all original. Only thing I have changed out regarding P/S is the high pressure hose. The intermittent shooting leak now is from the side under passenger and there's where the puddle of the PS fluid found . I ended up remove the belt yesterday since the fluid was low and I have no more fluid to add.

I am going to order a rack and pinion set. I am digging forum for installation tips.

I am trying to picture how do I center the rack before I connect the clamp from the steering wheel. Do I count how many turns going all the way from left to right (or right to left) then I turn the shaft exactly half way and then I connect the clamp of the steering wheel assembly with the steering wheel centered ? Or I just put everything together first, then turn steering wheel from left to right, count total turns, turn back half of the turns, loosen steering wheel clamp, then center steering wheel and tighter steering wheel clamp on the rack ?

Also, some post mentioned about a electrical plug on the rack. I have looked through many pictures on the internet of the rack and do not see anything like a connector. I have a 86 LXi, does anyone know if mine does not have the plug ? I checked the Rockauto site and, you know, it says fit 86-89 but doesn't really go down into different trims. I had bad experience with rockauto before with something they posted fit but it doesn't and it went into a finger pointing game. I don't want to pull off the old rack than find out the new rack does not fit or missing a electrical connector.

I can verify there is no electrical connector. And when you line the steering wheel up with the rack and pinion take your time. I made sure that the rack was Center and the wheel was Center and it's easiest if you take both bolts out of that little U-joint.

AC439
01-10-2018, 08:27 AM
Thanks much. I have ordered the rack. I also need to change out both CV axles. I wonder if this would give more room for the rack and pinion job if both axles are out ?

Shane86
01-10-2018, 04:11 PM
Thanks much. I have ordered the rack. I also need to change out both CV axles. I wonder if this would give more room for the rack and pinion job if both axles are out ?

It really won't give you too much extra room. I would do it as two separate jobs.

AC439
01-12-2018, 12:42 PM
It really won't give you too much extra room. I would do it as two separate jobs.

Aw ! Thought it would help making some more room...

AC439
01-16-2018, 11:18 AM
ok I started the job on driveway today, 3.5 hours later finally able to get the rack out. Definitely many many #$%$# #$%$ before the rack is out. Had to drop exhaust to make room otherwise rack wont drop. I guess the worse is over.... now taking a little break and will put new rack on. I ran to a local Honda dealer to get 4 bottles of Honda fluid. They were like a little over $5 a bottle.