PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Lxi Oil Pan Questions

Anchovius
12-20-2017, 01:54 PM
Bought a new oil pan for my ride part number is HOP01A https://contentinfo.autozonepro.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/adi/HOP01A/image/3/
If you look at the picture you can see that metal piece sticking out, what is that for?
I have the part and on the inside of the pan there is a piece of metal closing off that tube with little gaps on the either side. Now the pan thats currently installed on my car has that tube and a hose connected to something on the engine so I'm guessing its like a oil return or something but I don't know. Well the hose that connects the oil pan to whatever on the engine looks like its gonna burst super sketchy I want to replace that too.

With that mess of words said my questions are

1. What is the metal tube for?
2. What is it supposed to connect to?
3. What size hose do I need to bridge the gap?

Thanks for taking the time

Dr_Snooz
12-20-2017, 07:38 PM
It's the breather tube for the PCV system. It connects to the breather box on the back of the block via a short length of rubber hose. If memory serves, the hose is an unusual diameter only available at the dealership. At least that was the case about 10 years ago. Now, you're as likely to find a leprechaun at the dealer as that hose. It shouldn't be hard to force on a hose that's close to right though.

Anchovius
12-20-2017, 11:58 PM
Heck yeah thanks for the help, think I found the right part W0133-1624972 so if I'm connecting the dots right its just air that passes through this tube right?

Oldblueaccord
12-21-2017, 11:26 AM
its a very stiff hose so I would slip it on while you are putting the pan up. Dont bolt the whole thing up and then try the hose it wont go. Dont forget the clamps!

It drains stuff back from the PVC system so there is some fluid.

I found the aftermarket oil pan a little tight on the bolt holes check that before you gasket it up.

Anchovius
12-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the tips made my life a lot easier

Oldblueaccord
12-23-2017, 07:59 PM
Sewing thread to hold the gasket in place is the other tip of the day.