PDA

View Full Version : Do US MADE Accords have a Hitachi or TEC distributor?

Honda#1
01-25-2018, 02:32 PM
Hello everyone!

I just recently bought an '86 Accord LX-i hatch and want to buy some parts from Rock Auto and since I'm paying the shipping already, I want to buy a couple distributor caps and rotors. I see it lists in the description mainly for the LX-i "with TEC" distributor but is there any visual distinctions from the cap? The weather has been out of the question to do anything so I just want to buy parts now and don't want to end up sending it back, paying shipping. Since my Accord was manufactured in the US, has anyone had any experience knowing if their distributor is a Hitachi or TEC? Mine is a white with blue interior LX-i hatch with a manufacture date of May 1986 if that helps. BA7 code. NH82-3 color code. Input is much appreciated.

Blainethemono
01-27-2018, 07:20 PM
Hello everyone!

I just recently bought an '86 Accord LX-i hatch and want to buy some parts from Rock Auto and since I'm paying the shipping already, I want to buy a couple distributor caps and rotors. I see it lists in the description mainly for the LX-i "with TEC" distributor but is there any visual distinctions from the cap? The weather has been out of the question to do anything so I just want to buy parts now and don't want to end up sending it back, paying shipping. Since my Accord was manufactured in the US, has anyone had any experience knowing if their distributor is a Hitachi or TEC? Mine is a white with blue interior LX-i hatch with a manufacture date of May 1986 if that helps. BA7 code. NH82-3 color code. Input is much appreciated.

I recently installed a TEC Distributor in my 89 Accord LX-i

siguaw
03-24-2018, 03:58 AM
i had a 86 hatchback dx US model it had a hitachi and the cap wires were in a square shape with the coil wire in the middle. so i think the TEC is the caps that have the wires in a row on the cap, i was told there were two production plants in America one plant used hitachi the other TEC

Honda#1
03-29-2018, 09:43 AM
Thanks guys!

Dr_Snooz
04-02-2018, 08:28 PM
TEC's were used on the FI models.

Jafir
04-07-2018, 06:43 PM
Tec has an extrernal igniter and a D shaped cap while the Hitachi has an internal igniter and a round cap.