PDA

View Full Version : Help on how tp test a solenoid fuel shutoff valve on a kehin carb

lx 1986
02-07-2018, 12:09 PM
I have a 86 Honda Accord lx , 4spd auto trans , ac , 2.0L , 2bbl Kehin carb. I recently had a problem with the carb flooding. I talked to a carb guy. He was saying it's common for these carbs to have a problem flooding. The cause is usually a failed solenoid fuel shut off valve. He said sometimes the electrical connection may have a short in it. He said to jump it to another power source and see if that's the problem.

My question is can I hook up 2 separate wires to the battery 1 to the negative and the other to positive and touch them to the connector end of the solenoid fuel shut off valve and try to start the car? Will that work or would that be too much voltage?

Thanks

NateEdwards78
05-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Too much amperage straight from the car battery. Use a 9V battery.

Oldblueaccord
05-04-2018, 07:47 AM
Too much amperage straight from the car battery. Use a 9V battery.

errr ok thats not how electricity works exactly.

To the original poster I would verify that the solenoid is 12 volt or 5 volt first. I think that's what Nate is trying to say. But that would be a fine way to test it.

Dr_Snooz
05-04-2018, 06:45 PM
I suspect the only thing that solenoid does is stop fuel flow after you turn the engine off. In that case, it does nothing more than prevent dieseling. If you're flooding, it's likely that you have a sunken float or a bad needle valve. In which case, a rebuild is in your future.