PDA

View Full Version : Really need help badly carb flooding car will not hold idle when trying to cold start

lx 1986
02-09-2018, 02:11 AM
I have a 86 Honda Accord lx , 4spd auto trans , ac , 2.0L , 2bbl Kehin carb. I recently had a problem with the carb flooding. I tried to start the car in the morning and it tried to turn over. When it did start it wouldn't idle. I got the car to to start and idle roughly only by pumping the pedal but once I took my foot off the pedal the idle would drop to zero and the carb was flooded and die.

Would the solenoid fuel shut off cause this problem? If the answer is yes. I have a question.

I heard sometimes the electrical connection may have a short in it or have a break in it. I was also told to try and jump it to another power source but I don't know where to jump it to. Can anyone tell me where I could bypass the wire on the harness side of the connector to get some power going to the solenoid fuel shut off to see if that's the problem?

Any suggestions or additional info would be very helpful

thanks

1989accordaz
02-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Check the vacuum controled choke pull off first, if it isnt working, it won't allow air to get in the carb, the choke will remain shut during warmup.

Start the car and remove the air filter cover, then the screen, if the chocke plate is completly closed then you may have a bad choke pull off.

Try opening the plate by hand, does it get better?

When mine was bad, I would start the car and hold the choke plate open with a pen cap, clip it the way you would clip it to your shirt pocket. That got me going til I replaces it with a new one.

One last thing, do you have this problem when is warm?

lx 1986
02-11-2018, 10:52 AM
Thanks for replying 1989accordaz.

My car is in the shop right now and my mechanic got it started yesterday. He said that he cleaned out the float needle and there was alot of gas in it. I understand that when the car is cold started that the choke plate is supposed to be closed and then when I turn the key before I start it the plate opens a little. Is that correct? Or am i just imagining this?
I had the same problem you had and replaced the carb and the problem went away this was 2 1/2 years ago.

My mechanic said he got it started yesterday but he says that the car is surging now. Would a bad solenoid fuel cut-off valve be the problem with this? The solenoid valve does have power going to it is what the mechanic said. I don't know exactly what this valve does though. Someone told me that it regulates the fuel. So would a bad solenoid fuel cut off valve be causing the surging problem and possible flooding?

I told my mechanic that would be an easy fix. It's in the back of the carb and is held by 1 screw and has a connector going to it.

Answer to your last question. I drove the car the day before the problem started. The car started as usual I drove several places. The last place I had tires put on. The tire guy moved the car out of the bay and had no problem it started right away. He parked it and it sat for 1/2 hr. I got in turned the key and it tried to start it. I gave it some gas and it started but it seemed like it idling a little rough. I revved it and got it going and had no problem driving 6 cities to get back home on the surface streets. The next day is when I had this problem when I tried to start it in the morning.