PDA

View Full Version : 5th gear is gone>

botticelli
02-09-2018, 09:31 PM
On the freeway shift into 5th and its like the car is in neutral.

Revs freely.

Been this way for a while now(10k), I'm assuming I broke a shift fork but I was wondering if anyone else has been down this road before i pull the trans and replace /repair

~Pete

MessyHonda
02-10-2018, 07:08 PM
these transmissions have a really small oil hole for 5th gear so even under regular use and many miles the 5th gear tends to burn up. at this point your best bet is to find a new 5th gear and counter gear. best part is that the transmission nose hides the 5th gear. if you research more around here you will find helpful threads on swaping out 5th gear

Trevork34
02-11-2018, 03:56 PM
On the freeway shift into 5th and its like the car is in neutral.

Revs freely.

Been this way for a while now(10k), I'm assuming I broke a shift fork but I was wondering if anyone else has been down this road before i pull the trans and replace /repair

~PeteYou can buy it on eBay for around $110 look up 88 honda Accord 5th gear kit. It's super easy to replace, you don't even have to drop the trans

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

botticelli
03-22-2018, 02:25 PM
these transmissions have a really small oil hole for 5th gear so even under regular use and many miles the 5th gear tends to burn up. at this point your best bet is to find a new 5th gear and counter gear. best part is that the transmission nose hides the 5th gear. if you research more around here you will find helpful threads on swaping out 5th gear

Great news then, the show manual shows pulling the trans, can It be access without a lift?

slithica
05-05-2018, 12:59 AM
Yes, there should be an end cap that you can easily remove on the transmission. just jack up the passengers side and remove the tire. Then you can reach it.