PDA

View Full Version : Egr Remove

Janiel
02-18-2003, 11:06 AM
What will happen if i remove my egr on my lx-i? Will my engine light come on? And how do i remove it? Thanx for the help!

AccordEpicenter
02-18-2003, 03:22 PM
yeah if you take the EGR youll get a check engine light and the engine will run funny. You cant just remove it because itll give you a huge vaccuum leak in the intake manifold, but just taking the vaccuum line off the top of it will disable it, but also give you a code.

Immeraufdemhund
02-20-2003, 12:50 PM
i gotta find were to replace that thing. I guess mine is going out.. were is it located, i have an idea that it's on my manifold, but other than that I have no clue what it looks like or anything

montreal
02-20-2003, 03:33 PM
Is the EGR valve just for the fuel injected models or does the carbureted model have one also? I've replaced just about everything and my car still runs like cr@p, someone suggested the EGR valve...

88LXi68
02-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
yeah if you take the EGR youll get a check engine light and the engine will run funny. You cant just remove it because itll give you a huge vaccuum leak in the intake manifold, but just taking the vaccuum line off the top of it will disable it, but also give you a code.

You know whats funny, from what I understood those things would happen if you remove it, BUT when I cut mine off because I couldnt get it free from the header the CEL never came on. Granted I never drove it for a couple of hours straight because I was going to be storing it. It never idled weird, no CEL, and I believe that getting rid of it is a little better for performance.

Rich87HB
02-20-2003, 09:25 PM
I was wonderin the same thing. see i just recieved my dc header (cuase my pacesetter took a shit) any way i got the egr tube off just fine but now i am having a hell of a time getting it hooked up to the new dc header, it just wont f*cking do it. i have fooled with it for hours. What i want to know is has anyone one else run into this problem? How did you fix it? I am i need of serious help! Thanks in advance.

Elijah
02-20-2003, 09:35 PM
Help is right my egr is gone to what a problem with are cars.

anchovies
02-20-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Rich87HB
I was wonderin the same thing. see i just recieved my dc header (cuase my pacesetter took a shit) any way i got the egr tube off just fine but now i am having a hell of a time getting it hooked up to the new dc header, it just wont f*cking do it. i have fooled with it for hours. What i want to know is has anyone one else run into this problem? How did you fix it? I am i need of serious help! Thanks in advance.

2 crowbars 4 hands. One pushing on the egr with a crowbar so that the end will go into the header end. Another crowbar to guide the nut into the correct place while pushing the nut so that the thread catches. When it catches, continue pushing on the crowbar and thread the nut in place. Hope that helps.

Immeraufdemhund
02-21-2003, 10:49 AM
were is it located?............

Whitehonda
02-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Immeraufdemhund
were is it located?............

Yellow Arrow :wave:

http://pics.montypics.com/Gcoupe35/2003-02-15/r1_1engine_bay1.jpg

Cameron

AccordEpicenter
02-21-2003, 06:11 PM
yeah thats the EGR tube, and follow that up to the intake manifold and it bolts right into it, and right where it bolts in there is this funky looking can the top side of the intake and thats the EGR. Well, when i disabled my egr i noticed a little better torque, then i got my CEL coming on so I reconnected it. If the egr is functioning properly then it should have NO effect on the engines idle.

Immeraufdemhund
02-21-2003, 07:00 PM
excellent, Thanx i'll take a look at it tommorow.. any way to test it?

Rich87HB
02-21-2003, 09:21 PM
well, after walkin away from it for a night to cool off (i had lost all patience and frustration set in) i came back to it after work and after a couple of tries i finally got the damn thing. What a pain in the ass that was. After the fight with that egr the rest was cake. The new DC header is on, and its very nice. I woul like to show everyone the reason not to choose pacesetter, maybe in another post.

87accordlxph
02-22-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Immeraufdemhund
excellent, Thanx i'll take a look at it tommorow.. any way to test it?

Yeah there is. I tested mine and it's toast..stuck. I'm gonna plug it sometime when it gets warmer here in Canada.

You can test it by simply trying to move the bottom up and down or disconnect the vaccume hose from it and connect a vaccume gauge to it and apply a vaccume, vaccume should remain constant and the engine should shut off, if it don't then it needs to be cleaned or buy a new one or a used one that works.

BTW, the EGR valve looks like the valve on your intake duct except it's directly on the intake manifold.

-Mike