PDA

View Full Version : '86 Accord no crank no start urgent please help

Itsstoner
02-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Hey guys so I recently bought an 86 Accord, 5 speed 3 door hatch with a carbureted 2.0, been loving it until the past few days. So I was working on it the other night and forgot to turn my fan on while it was sitting running for a minute (fan runs through a switch so I have to turn it on and off) and it overheated and blew my radiator. I didn't see any other problems (is there anything else that may have happened I didn't notice?) It looked like I had a leak from my valve cover at first but I realized I was wrong it was just coolant dripping. But I had taken the cover off to check, didn't see any damage and the gasket looked good still so I put it back on, sealed it with some rtv and torqued the bolts down to about 7ft/lbs. So then I swapped the radiator (also put new brake pads and different wheels on while I was waiting for the radiator to come in) and since I didn't have coolant threw some water in just to test it out until I could get to a Honda dealership to get some and it started up just fine, there was just this horrid grinding noise (was assuming it was the brakes was gonna get a second opinion on them soon) and a burning smell. Kinda smelled like coolant so I thought maybe it was the leftover coolant that go everywhere when the radiator busted just burning off but can't be sure. I took it up and down the street earlier when I got it started to see how it ran and it drove fine besides the grinding noise. Just now i can't out to move it real quick and I went to start it and it cranked for a fraction of a second then made a weird clunking noise, so I stopped. Now when I turn the key nothing happens. I just changed the starter too as it was out when I got the car so I'm pretty sure it's not that, plus its not giving the click that usually comes with a bad starter. Just nothing happens at all. No click no crank nothing. Just silence. When I first turn the key to turn the acc. on it sounds like maybe the fuel pump comes on for a second but I'm not sure it's just a very faint noise for about 1 second and that's it. Could someone please help, I need to get it back running asap

Shane86
02-27-2018, 07:51 PM
Maybe the starter gear is stuck on the flywheel?

Oldblueaccord
02-27-2018, 11:52 PM
The over heat doesnt sound good. I would pull the spark plugs and see if you can turn it over by hand and or the starter will turn it.

gcovarrubias412
02-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Double check to make sure your starter is getting correct voltage and is correctly plugged to power. Same sort of situation (cranked it, engine turned, got some thumps, then nothing) happened to me and it was just my unplugged starter that caused it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjsamc
02-28-2018, 09:57 PM
So if I understand this correctly...
Engine overheated because your fan is on a manual switch and forgot to turn it on.
The radiator cracked. What part of it blew open?
You replaced brake pads and wheels... (personally, I would have waited and figured out the other issue first).
You added water and it started up with a "horrid grinding noise" but your not sure if it's the brakes. Did the noise happen when the engine was running or only when car was moving/braking? Did you notice any smoke coming out of the tailpipe?
Last time you tried to start the car, it cranked for a second then made a clunk and now it wont crank at all.

I'm no expert, but this is what I would do:
Check the oil dipstick to see if there are signs of water mixed with the oil. Not good if there is.
Take out spark plugs to see if there is water inside the cylinders. Not good if there is.
Take it out of gear and see if you can turn the crank pulley with a socket and wrench. Not good if you can't turn it.

If the above seem OK, I would check that battery is good and start troubleshooting the starter. It might be stuck so hit it with something a few times. You can disconnect the black/white wire at the starter solenoid and see if that wire has voltage when you turn the key all the way. You can even take a jumper wire directly from the battery Positive terminal and touch the solenoid terminal, this bypasses the starting circuit and the starter should crank, unless it is bad or the engine is seized.

Itsstoner
03-20-2018, 03:34 PM
So if I understand this correctly...
Engine overheated because your fan is on a manual switch and forgot to turn it on.
The radiator cracked. What part of it blew open?
You replaced brake pads and wheels... (personally, I would have waited and figured out the other issue first).
You added water and it started up with a "horrid grinding noise" but your not sure if it's the brakes. Did the noise happen when the engine was running or only when car was moving/braking? Did you notice any smoke coming out of the tailpipe?
Correct, the radiator cracked on the top by where you pour the coolant, and the part where you connect the top hose broke off. I only did the wheels as I was waiting for the radiator to come in, but I found out the grinding was actually from the wheels so I'm changing those back when I get a chance. It was the wheels themselves whenever it was moving. No smoke

Last time you tried to start the car, it cranked for a second then made a clunk and now it wont crank at all.
Correct, started earlier in the day, bout an hour or 2 maybe before, then when I tried to start it once more before going inside is when this happened.

I'm no expert, but this is what I would do:
Check the oil dipstick to see if there are signs of water mixed with the oil. Not good if there is.
Take out spark plugs to see if there is water inside the cylinders. Not good if there is.
Take it out of gear and see if you can turn the crank pulley with a socket and wrench. Not good if you can't turn it.
Checked before already, no water anywhere. Engine turns over by hand fine.

If the above seem OK, I would check that battery is good and start troubleshooting the starter. It might be stuck so hit it with something a few times. You can disconnect the black/white wire at the starter solenoid and see if that wire has voltage when you turn the key all the way. You can even take a jumper wire directly from the battery Positive terminal and touch the solenoid terminal, this bypasses the starting circuit and the starter should crank, unless it is bad or the engine is seized.
The battery is dead now for sure I know, but that wasn't the issue, even when trying to jumpstart it it does absolutely nothing. When I get home from work I'll check the voltage to my starter, try knocking it with something, and try bypassing the starter circuit, hopefully something works. When checking the voltage, do I have to have someone turning the key to "Start" when I check it, or just while it's in "On"? The starter should be good, I just got a new one in just after I bought the car, as the original one was out when I bought it. I've also already checked the wiring to it to make sure it's plugged up right. Thank you for all the help, sorry for the late reply. Been very busy and the car hasn't been my first priority, also have had trouble getting on here to check for replies, as at first I couldn't even find the post again then the replied weren't popping up immediately.