PDA

View Full Version : Protect your H4 conversions...

cdscowboy
02-18-2003, 06:59 PM
Hey guys...I know a lot of you have the H4 conversion, and they get condensation in them. I finally got around to taking pics of what I did to solve the problem. I hope it helps, and that the link works!!! Good luck :)

They're about halfway down..... (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/349828/2)

markmdz89hatch
02-18-2003, 07:24 PM
three things, first that's awesome and nicely done. 2. does it actually work to help keep moisture out. 3. Will you be making them for sale for our cars, and how do they mount?

PS> I'd be interested if you decided to cut a pair and sell me.

cdscowboy
02-18-2003, 09:19 PM
In order:

1. Thanks! :)
2. Yes, it works...it's like putting a roof on a house; the water goes to either side of the rubber seal
3. I wasn't planning on making them for sale, but I wanted to share my knowledge with the rest of you guys. I don't have metal shears, so I had to use a pair of a friends to do those as it is. They're really not that hard to make if you have some sheet metal and the shears. If there was even enough deman for them, I'd probably charge like $10-15/pair, at least at first, to cover the costs of the materials. So if more fellas want them, let me know...if a few guys end up wanting them, I'll make em!! :)

cdscowboy
02-18-2003, 09:20 PM
PS: To my knowledge, the condensation that forms is cause the water drips down the hood, and right into the seal of the light. My "roof" covers that seal...just a clarification.

Micah 89LXi
02-19-2003, 03:32 PM
id be interested
especially cause im thinking about getting those projector headlights from www.altezzawarehouse.com ..even tho i just got my coversions..but mine havent leaked or gotten and condensation in em yet
im gonn seal em soon as i find some silicon glue..course i otta look for it to find it i guess..heh

Micah 89LXi
02-19-2003, 03:33 PM
btw..how much a difference does the PIAA blubs make..if i can just get some really bright bulbs maybe i wont get the projectors

cdscowboy
02-19-2003, 05:33 PM
Well, I haven't had a whole lot of experience with different brands of bulbs, but I had some blue tinted Nokya bulbs before I got my PIAAs. They were kinda cool just cause of the color, but I couldn't see shit! So the PIAAs made a big difference for me. PIAAs are known to be a good light, so it's hard to go wrong with them...that's not saying there's not cheaper quality ones out there, I just don't know about them, so I didn't buy them.

And if you got the projectors, why would you bother sealing the conversion you have now?? :confused:

If I can get one more man in, I'll make the covers. Charge $15 each. If I get more guys, the cost goes down, of course. I don't wanna rape you guys for them, just mostly cover my costs! I'm sure you understand :) They're definitely worth it in my opinion, and it's a lot easier to just screw these on than sealing all around the entire light. Let me know guys! :wave:

MrBen
02-19-2003, 09:14 PM
I'm in.

cdscowboy
02-19-2003, 09:30 PM
Alright guys...I got a friend who's gonna get me all the material. Corvallis is too ghetto to have a worthy supply store! Anyways, there was an issue regarding to shipping costs. I figured I'd charge a flat $20, regardless of how much actual shipping is....unless of course it's like $10!! :lol I doubt they're gonna cost too much...these things aren't very heavy.

So I have 3 requests so far:
1. GhettoAccord
2. markmdz89hatch
3. Micah 89LXi (maybe????...I'll PM you...)

If anyone else wants them, let me know!!

MrBen
02-19-2003, 09:32 PM
I'll bet that HoHo guy wants them.

cdscowboy
02-19-2003, 09:49 PM
Aight...I'll PM him, too!

shepherd79
02-20-2003, 04:35 AM
nicely done.
i was just thinking about something like that for my car.
want to post the dimensions and how you did? that would really help.

cdscowboy
02-20-2003, 09:16 AM
It was mostly a trial and error process. If you look at the link in the first post you see the cover lying by the eyelid, so there's some dimensions for you. Sorry, I don't have the exact dimensions on me. If you really want, I can dig into my lights again and figure it out, OR, you could just buy some from me!! :D Hope that helps!

MrBen
02-20-2003, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't post dimensions, it's a custom project. They either buy it from you or figure it out themself. I mean you already took the time to post the pictures and come up with the design. Just an opinion.

I can't wait to get mine from you, mine are already leaking!

cdscowboy
02-20-2003, 10:50 PM
I agree with your opinion, upon review. :D If you want it, buy it, or look at the pics and figure it out on your own. Don't mean to be a hardass...it's business. :)

dews89blkaccord
02-21-2003, 06:00 PM
You can buy that stiff at a hardware store for about 15 to 20 cents a foot. Thats what I paid for mine. Its just alumium flashing for roofs.

cdscowboy
02-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Actually it's just plain sheet metal. My friend who works at Home
Depot's gonna get me the materials for hella cheap...he owes me a favor! Thanks though. :wave:

cdscowboy
02-22-2003, 03:45 AM
I've got 3 orders so far. If anyone else is interested, I'll have enough metal for 7 more sets. Let me know!! :)

MrBen
02-22-2003, 04:48 PM
dews89... Don't make assumptions. And don't talk down on these just because they are better than yours.

dews89blkaccord
02-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
dews89... Don't make assumptions. And don't talk down on these just because they are better than yours.

Assumption regarding what?
If you want to pay $20 for something that cost 20 cents to make
go ahead. All I said is you can make them cheaper. I never talk them down. And you don't no what mine look like.

MrBen
02-22-2003, 08:58 PM
You said yours are flashing. Cowboys are thicker and therefore more durable. I don't want shitty metal flashing flapping around on my moving headlight. And my interest in buying something that happens to be more expensive because it is higher quality is not your problem. So fuck off.

cdscowboy
02-23-2003, 01:26 AM
No reason for anyone to get upset about this matter, guys. Yes, it is relatively cheap to go out and do this on your own, but those that are buying this from me aren't paying to just get the materials, they're getting a finished project that they can just slap on. Time is money. These things take some time. It's that simple. No reason to get mad! :wave:

markmdz89hatch
02-23-2003, 06:11 AM
hey cowboy, I just thought of something...
...how do they mount into the housing? Do they just hang out in there, or is there a pair of small screws/bolts that hold 'em on? Just curious b/c I want to avoid having them rattle around in there b/c they're not secured in by anything.

MrBen
02-23-2003, 11:11 AM
It's secured well enough if you consider that anything that moves on that headlight will catch and damn near fry the motor for it if not securely bolted on.

cdscowboy
02-23-2003, 02:07 PM
If you look at the pictures again, you can see two holes on either side where screws go through. The screws originally just hold the standard light cover, but now they'll go through my covers, too...they won't budge an inch if you screw these screws in! Good question!

By the way, I should have the supplies as of this afternoon, so I'll PM those that are still interested with my address. I'd prefer money order or just plain old cash. Thanks!

Matt

cdscowboy
06-21-2003, 02:50 AM
^^^BUMP^^^

I am definitely still making these, so anyone, just hit me up if you want some!! You can read the feedback from a few of my satisfied customers here: http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15702
I'm not sure what the deal is with Canada, but for some reason it cost $26 just for me to ship it. 88' Accord Ltd had to pay some at the post office (or whereever) to get them. So naturally it will cost a bit more. You may want to PM him and see if it was worth the extra...my opinion is probably biased ;)

You can reach me through PM, AIM, or email!! :)

Matt

cdscowboy
07-12-2003, 10:13 PM
^^^BUMP^^^

HondaBoy
07-16-2003, 11:58 PM
hey now that i looked at that, i wonder wut they would look like made out of clear plexiglass. im good at making just about anything with it. that metal cover looks pretty good though.

BITESIZE
07-17-2003, 12:00 AM
I just went to the hardware store and bought a big bottle of sealent, and sealed those fuckers up for $3. Doesn't look that great, but you can't see the back of the headlights, so who cares.

MrBen
07-17-2003, 09:32 AM
You'll care when you go to replace the bulb and have to peel off all that sticky shit.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-17-2003, 09:53 AM
I'm getting a pair from cdscowboy.

MrBen
07-17-2003, 10:09 AM
You wont regret it

Mike's89AccordLX
07-17-2003, 10:13 AM
He told me a little about what they are. Are the that good? Well I'm glad I'm getting them then.

NXRacer
07-17-2003, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure i understand how they work. I guess i'll just have to take a look at em at the Oregon meet in Sept. I prolly wont have H4's by then anyway so i wont need em before then...... :lol

Mike's89AccordLX
07-17-2003, 10:18 AM
It's kind of a unseen modification. From what I know of it at least. It protects the backside of the headlight from water from getting into the headlight. It took him awhile of explaining before I knew what they were for.

NXRacer
07-17-2003, 10:32 AM
i have a good idea of what they are for, just not how they work. I'm thinking its like a 'roof' for the back of the headlight? what water gets on the back of the light though???

BITESIZE
07-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Those lightbulbs will last forever, probably longer than I'll own the car.

cdscowboy
07-17-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer
i have a good idea of what they are for, just not how they work. I'm thinking its like a 'roof' for the back of the headlight? what water gets on the back of the light though???

Exactly :) Gold star for you! They're a roof that makes the water go to either side of the rubber seal on the back of the conversion housing.

BITESIZE - What kind of bulbs did you get? Just curious. It'd suck to have to pull that sealant off...but it is cheaper. If you ever change your mind, you know how to get a hold of me!!

Matt