PDA

View Full Version : Misc stuffs...

AC439
04-06-2018, 04:02 AM
Not quite the right place to post but I finally got some time to work on the car again. As some of you know, I did a Rustoleum paint job a year ago. I did a light compounding again and waxed it. Looking good as the same as a year ago. I did post on the in/ext care forum but somehow I cannot upload my pics - says invalid after uploading.

Anyway, I also did a valve lash adjustment with new cover gasket and grommets and, most importantly, with a torque wrench set to 7 fl-lb for tightening. I have 2 sets of feeler gauges but none has a 0.0028 (0.011mm) for the exhaust. I have to use a 0.0025 and a 0.0030 then kind of feel one will be too tight and the other too loose to guesstimate I have it at the middle of the spec.

But after adjustment, engine runs better, car seems faster and MPG seems up a bit. Still running the tank so I don't know until next fill up.

In the past, I am always dealing with oil sealing issue around valve cover gasket. This time, I am using a torque wrench so will see. I am surprised the Honda dealer still has our cover gasket but it had to be ordered.

gcovarrubias412
04-06-2018, 10:16 PM
Nice. Did you use a silicone gasket? Or a rubber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC439
04-07-2018, 09:15 AM
I think its rubber gasket. I bought everything from a local Honda dealer's part store.

gp02a0083
04-11-2018, 07:25 AM
talk to one of the moderators and see if they can help you with the photo issue.

for the valve lash, should be ok, i try to stay toward the middle of the range to a bit looser.

where are the valve cover leaks coming from? the corners on each side or the grommets? iv'e had great luck cleaning the living hell out of the channel in the valve cover and the mating surface with brake kleen. i only use permatex grey where the corners are. just make sure everything is clean and maybe double check to see if the valve cover is straight

AC439
04-11-2018, 08:58 AM
I think the uploading pic is a problem with the forum, not my PC. I tried a very small pic previously loaded and getting same result. I have not used up my quota for file uploading.

Actually I have no idea where the leak was. But I know its at the front since I can smell oil being burned by exhaust. Now the smell is not noticeable after gasket change. So I assume its good.

Next fix is to retrofit vacuum solenoid for A/C boost....