PDA

View Full Version : why is my carb leaking antifreeze

lx 1986
04-07-2018, 12:46 PM
I have 86 accord lx, CA emissions, 2bbl Keihin carb, 2.0L auto, trans. The problem I'm having is I had mechanic replace the carb recently. He said that after replacing he started the car and antifreeze started to leak through the base plate. He says he never saw that before. He talked to the place where I bought the carb and was told to disconnect a hose or hoses that go to the carb or manifold I'm not sure I wasn't in on the conversation. The carb guy said if you do this it wouldn't hurt anything because we don't use that for the carb because we are in CA it was meant for cars in colder weather. This would stop the antifreeze from leaking through the carbs base plate. My mechanic tried it but couldn't get the leak to stop so he removed the carb and sealed a hole where the antifreeze was coming from. It worked for awhile but now it's leaking again. Has anyone had this problem? And do you know which hose or hoses will stop the leak. The carb guy said it was simple to bypass this problem I don't know if my guy understands what he was saying.

Thanks

gcovarrubias412
04-07-2018, 09:42 PM
Someone else will get you a better explanation. But heres mine for now. You gotta plug the hole reeeaaaaaallllllllll good for it to stop. Some jb weld or something of that sort will do it. Give it all the time it needs to seal properly. Maybe a layer of silicone to be safe. But someone else will post a better explanation. Theres a couple threads in the carb tech section that’ll explain it all. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InAccordance
04-08-2018, 04:05 PM
That's a bit sketchy on your mechanics side there...
In any case, yes coolant does run through the stock setup.
I've done two Weber conversions and I just take a screw that sits flush in the hole and jb weld the shit out of it inside the hole around the screw and a bit on top. Let it sit for a day and you're good.
If you want to bypass the coolant running through the intake, the lines should be underneath coming off the big tube that runs into the water pump. Just back track them and run a hose from one to the other.

lx 1986
04-08-2018, 05:32 PM
Since I can't post a picture. the hoses your talking about are the bypass outlet hose which is the closest to the water pump, and the next one going to the left towards the passenger side would be the carb outlet hose B. The last one is the heater hose which you don't mess with right. Reason I'm asking is I think my mechanic was disconnecting the wrong hoses. There are only 3 nipples on that white tube.

So what your saying is remove the bypass outlet hose and the carb outlet hose B that are connected to the big white tube and take a fresh piece of hose and connect it to the bypass hose nipple on the big white tube and hook the other end to the nipple that the carb outlet hose was on. So another words outlet to outlet right! Reason I'm asking again is because I keep hearing outlet hose and intake hose. The only inlet hose I see on my diagram is connected to the manifold and the other end goes to the thermostat housing.

You do have a carb on your honda don't you?

InAccordance
04-09-2018, 12:34 PM
Yea, one you want is the question mark shaped one near the water pump, it plugs into the intake. 2nd one is right below the egr valve. It comes out of the intake and plugs into the tube. Run a bypass connecting those together.

lx 1986
04-24-2018, 03:22 PM
Thanks InAccordance for clarifying this. Sorry it took so long to reply. You gave me such a great description simple and to the point. Thanks again brother for the help.

InAccordance
05-03-2018, 03:00 PM
👍