PDA

View Full Version : high outputt alternator

shepherd79
05-26-2002, 08:02 AM
does anyone make high outputt alternator for our cars?
i think mine is dying.
thanks.

POS carb
05-26-2002, 06:45 PM
just take it to an alternator shop and have them rebuild it. I have a stock-style unit rated at 65 amps and it's been enough to power my system (I'm also missing my a/c and about 1/2 the emmissions control devices)

shepherd79
05-27-2002, 04:50 AM
well the reason i asked is that everytime i push on my brakes my idle goes down by 100 rpm. plus when i turn headlights it goes down too.
At least my amp does eat too much power.
i am gonna take it to autozone and my buddy can check it for me.

ACCORD EX
05-27-2002, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
plus when i turn headlights it goes down too.

don't headlights take power from the fusebox from the battery ?

MIKE

shepherd79
05-27-2002, 04:25 PM
i don't know Mike.
But i know that my battery is good. i changed it two years ago.
i am leaning more towards alternator, but i can be wrong.
can it be because of my timming? i don't think it set right. i think i have a vacum leak somewhere, because i can't set it right by using the instractions in the manuals.
well i have too much to work on it. i have hole summer to play with it.

Slavic
08-07-2004, 08:00 AM
everytime i push on my brakes my idle goes down by 100 rpm. plus when i turn headlights it goes down too.

I have the same problem. The radiator fan or inside fan does it as well. Was it the alternator?

shepherd79
08-07-2004, 08:05 AM
no, my problem wasn't alternator at all.
you problem may be the alternator since your lights dim. do you have H4 conversion with high out pup bulbs?

Slavic
08-07-2004, 08:10 AM
do you have H4 conversion with high out pup bulbs? No.

I had alternator trouble and drained the battery(s) a few times until I got around to changing the brushes, so the battery might not be in best shape, but the 89 LXi doesn't have the same problem if using that battery so I eliminated it as the source of the problem.

DeathRat
08-07-2004, 07:02 PM
I've got a custom GM Style 160Amp Alternator installed now. It puts out 60Amps at base idle (700 RPM) & 130+ @ 2000 RPM. I did this because my H4's were killing my old stock 60 Amp. The Alternator itself was $325 CAN. I got it locally here.

Civvy
08-09-2004, 03:03 AM
I've had this problem of dimming lights! and on my first date with my girl the alternator brushes went in the middle of the nite, in the middle of no-where, in the rain!!

I had the alt. rebuilt and was told it had proberbly stressed the battery too as the brushes would of been in a poor condition for perhaps years and should have the battery replaced too.

Problem fixed for me everything seems a tiny bit brighter and nothing dims anymore!!

shepherd79
08-09-2004, 03:36 AM
when i had those cheap xenon bulbs that pull shit load of current, my lights used to dim. now, i am running Raybrig Sonicwhite, they the brightest on the market and they pull same amount of current as stock lights.
the problem is in your lightbulbs. the cheaper they get, the more current they will pull.

nswst8
08-09-2004, 03:53 AM
when i had those cheap xenon bulbs that pull shit load of current, my lights used to dim. now, i am running Raybrig Sonicwhite, they the brightest on the market and they pull same amount of current as stock lights.
the problem is in your lightbulbs. the cheaper they get, the more current they will pull.

I have the conversion, but don't want to use the xenon since everyone seems to be having the same problem.

Slavic
08-09-2004, 05:36 AM

Guys, I have stock lights and besides the problem is consistent when they aren't even on which is most of the time I drive.

The RPMs would drop whenever anything that draws power turns on be it the radiator fan, the AC fan, when I push on the brakes, when I turn the wheel when in full stop or whatever. I can rock the idle speed by pressing and depressing brakes or turning the steering wheel. That's in addition to it sometimes oscillating 50-150 RPMs on it's own as it kind of cuts out than surges back up. This doesn't happen all the time, though.

Civvy
08-09-2004, 05:47 AM
Guys, I have stock lights and besides the problem is consistent when they aren't even on which is most of the time I drive.

The RPMs would drop whenever anything that draws power turns on be it the radiator fan, the AC fan, when I push on the brakes, when I turn the wheel when in full stop or whatever. I can rock the idle speed by pressing and depressing brakes or turning the steering wheel. That's in addition to it sometimes oscillating 50-150 RPMs on it's own as it kind of cuts out than surges back up. This doesn't happen all the time, though.

Smartass!