PDA

View Full Version : I need help quick :(

MrBen
02-18-2003, 07:42 PM
I just put my h4 conversions in and my car won't start. To top it off, the reason I got them is because a stock one went out. The same side is out. The batterys not dead because interior lights and all work. What is it? HELP! I need to get to school tomorrow.

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-18-2003, 07:50 PM
With our cars and the flippies, a common thing was the wires for the headlights breaking where they bend each time the headlight goes up and down. So I'd check those first, that's probably it. As for the not starting...not quite sure. But I'd still try jumpstarting it or charging the battery for awile, because it doesn't take much juice to turn the lights on, but it takes ALOT of juice to run the starter and turn the engine over.

MrBen
02-18-2003, 07:56 PM
The brights work though.

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-18-2003, 08:04 PM
Still could be a broken wire. There's 3 wires going to the headlight: a ground wire, a +12v for the low beam filament, and a +12v for the high beam filament. If only one wire is broken (aka...the low beam wire) then only that one will not work.

MrBen
02-18-2003, 08:09 PM
Hmm, ok. Well I've established my battery is dead. Suggestions on a decent one?

And about the h4 conversions... what are decent bulbs?

SMITHACCORD*&
02-18-2003, 08:18 PM
Get a yellow top if you can afford it. go to autozone

MrBen
02-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Well I just push started my car and drove it down to my shop guy. He says he thinks the alternater is fucked and may need to be done. I guess He's doing i now, I'm at school. Maybe it'll be done by the time I get home. What a pain in the ass. He says it is also burning oil because there is 1000 miles left till the oil change and it was out. Grr.

*sigh*:(

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
02-19-2003, 01:56 PM
There are a many brands of bulbs. However, I would recommend bulbs that are made in Germany or Japan. Do not buy the cheap bulbs from Korea.

Also, many advertise that their bulbs give a genuine Xenon appearance. That is completely false. These companies merely tint the glass blue to give off a blue colored light. The worse part of it is that they aren't very bright. Let's be realistic blue and black don't have a tremendous amount of contrast. If anyone of you has ever driven a car with true Xenon lights, you know that the light is not blue. The blue that is only seen around the headlamp is the coronal discharge of the Xenon gas.

I would recommend a pair of PIAA Super White 80/80. They cost around $70.00. Erika has been using these in her LX for more than two years now. These bulbs give the best approximation of a true Xenon headlight system. If the PIAA bulbs are too expensive, try a Narva from Howard Stern Lighting Systems. They're around $50 a pair. If you want the least costly alternative, go with a Hella 80/100. It's a very bright high quality bulb that will last a long time.

Out of curiosity, what do most of you guys have in your 3Gs?

Claude

MrBen
02-27-2003, 03:49 PM
Turns out it was just a dead battery.

The bulbs I have are "PCP Motorsports" Real 4200K Snow White light. 100/90W. I am satisfied with them but I wish they were brighter.

Grant2k
02-27-2003, 04:02 PM
if you are really that low on oil and you haven't noticed any smoke you might have a leak somewhere. have you checked your drain plug? if you were burning that much oil you would probably have noticed it.

and do what jared said with the headlight wires. you can get the new socket with about a foot of wire on it at any auto parts store.

MrBen
02-27-2003, 04:04 PM
He said there was an insignificant leak the last time I went. Its small, but there are always drips in the driveway.