PDA

View Full Version : Multiple jobs these next few days

gcovarrubias412
04-17-2018, 08:04 AM
Hey guys, so for the next 3 days i’m gonna be doing a few things to my 84’ Accord hatch. Replacing the rack and pinion, replacing timing belt and cam/crank seals, tie rods (both passenger/driver, inner/outer), and my speedometer cable.

Today i’m gonna try to take out the r and p and put in the new one. And maybe the tie rods.

Could someone tell me the best way to get the timing belt out? Cause i noticed you need to take off the mount and maybe all surrounding belts (ac, alternator). Just let me know what I should take off and what can be left on.

And could someone tell me how to get to the speedo cable? Im guessing its in the gauge cluster.

I’ll post on here if I have any issues with any of these jobs.

Thanks in advance!

Dr_Snooz
04-18-2018, 05:00 PM
You have to pull everything for the timing belt. There's no easy way to do it.

gcovarrubias412
04-18-2018, 06:34 PM
You have to pull everything for the timing belt. There's no easy way to do it.

Everything? I already deleted my A/C, and i took off the serpentine belt for the water pump and alternator. I don’t have power steering. The only thing obstructing is the bottom timing belt cover. That’d be it, right?

I already pulled the rack and pinion out. I got it rebuilt along with new tie rods, inner and outer. So i’m gonna put that in tomorrow. Changed the upper radiator hose. So the only thing missing is the speedo cable, replacing the timing belt and the cam/crank seals, and re installing the rack and pinion.

Anyone have any tips for the belt and seals/rack and pinion/speedometer cable? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

And by the way, my engine bay looks so clean without all the A/C bullshit! I’ll clean it up and post pictures tomorrow. [emoji57]