PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof

Sharky196
02-19-2003, 02:00 AM
I really enjoyed the sunroof in my 89 prelude, but my 87 accord dont have one. I would like to put one in. Is there any after market kits for these cars that wont make me sorry?

MrBen
02-19-2003, 09:22 AM
Personally I would go somewhere and have it professionally installed. If you don't you're basically going to have leaks in the near future. Unless you do a good job. Besides, they have warranties included on most sunroofs when they are professionally installed. Mine does.

Mike89Accordcom
02-19-2003, 12:40 PM
I had a popup put in about 5 years ago. Hasn't leaked once. Cost me $400 installed. Ya this is something you must have installed by a professional. I like it a lot. Wish I had a power one, but this comes off in 2 seconds which is cool. You can have an electric one put in, but they just dont work the same as OEM.

AccordEpicenter
02-20-2003, 08:59 AM
yeah be careful, Ive had 2 aftermarket sunroofs and both leaked bigtime. Both were professionally installed too. The one in my 88 LXI coupe leaked soo bad i started getting mold in between the seats (gross)

markmdz89hatch
02-20-2003, 12:48 PM
Mine in my coupe is an aftermarket one that, like Mike's, hasn't leaked so much as a drop since the day it was installed.

I'm actually parting out my coupe now, so if you want the sunroof, let me know and I'll pull it for you. That way all you'll have to do it pay for the labor of getting it installed.

Mike89Accordcom
02-22-2003, 11:30 AM
Yeah I guess it just depends on the installer. I've heard of aftermarket ones leaking. Thankgod mine hasn't.

MrBen
02-22-2003, 04:51 PM
Mine is and it SUCKS. I personally hate it. The extra light and air ventilation is nice but the leaking in the wet season is ridiculous. Whats more is the company who installed it refuses to repair it because it is too old. Talk about standing behind their product.

AccordEpicenter
02-22-2003, 08:45 PM
yeah that blows...

87Hybrid
02-23-2003, 08:34 AM
http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/albums/87hybrid/aah.sized.jpg
This is made I believe by a company called webasco but I am not sure, I got it out of the u-pull it wrecking yard a couple of years ago and installed it in the civic this last summer, I check for leaks with 40psi compressed air and a water/soap concoction that will bubble where it leaks. 40 psi air on it is equil to over 100mph wind.

I know that they used to sell these at PEP Boys but since they pulled out of our area I cannot tell you any other details.

I am just hoping that I willl come across another one for the accord someday.

Sharky196
02-23-2003, 09:10 AM
Yeah that one looks sweet! We used to have a Pep Boys in Columbus Ohio. (45 mins. from me) but I dont know if their still up there or not. I'll have to check it out. Thanx for posting the pic.
Cole

Grant2k
02-24-2003, 08:34 AM
i have an aftermarket sunroof that was installed by the dealer when the car was new and it is just now starting to let a little water in. it is nice that is comes out easily, but if you don't put it in tight enough it leaks too, but you can fix that by just tightening it. mine is leaking so minimally i am sure i can fix is and prevent any further problems.