PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lamp??

rideredorgohome
02-19-2003, 06:10 AM
My car is currently displaying the brake lamp lamp on the dash and i am not sure why. I just replaced all the brakes including rotors and drums on the rear and the brake bulbs are running ok. Is this something I should be worried about? Does anyone know how I can fix it w/o taking this thing to the dealer? Is it an electrical problem? Help!:sadwave: :sadwave:

MrBen
02-19-2003, 09:23 AM
Your E-brake cable might be too tight or needs to be adjusted. Mine did this too when I got my car and I wound up adjusting the E-brake.

88 Accord DX
02-19-2003, 09:30 AM
yeah take the center console off and look to see if the brake handle is pushing down on the little white button. if not just adjust the screw towards the back.

greekguy7
02-19-2003, 12:11 PM
On my 87 Lxi hatchback, there is one light that says Brake (this is for the emrgency brake and for hydraulic related problems) and another light that says Brake Lamp. This light comes on if one of my rear tailights is out!

So.. check your lights, if your setup is similar to mine.

Otherwise, check your emergency brake and check to see if your master cylinder is filled to the proper level (dont overfill though)

rideredorgohome
02-19-2003, 03:34 PM
the lamp that is causing me grief is the one that says "Brake Lamp" on the little pic of the car on the dash. Not the ebrake light. I had my bf stand behind the car while I pressed that brake pedal and he said that the lights were ok. Should I just replace the bulbs and see if it goes out? It only comes on after I press the pedal after starting the car. It does not come on until then.

SMITHACCORD*&
02-19-2003, 07:32 PM
yes. replace all the brake light bulbs. thats what i did and it fixed that problem instantly

modu03
08-21-2003, 02:05 AM
yeah the only thing that'll cause that is something wrong with the bulbs or the wiring to the bulbs

legend9
08-21-2003, 06:33 AM
Same thing happened to me. Get a brush wire, or some sandpaper, and start brushing the ends of the lightbulds. Sometime they become rusted, and no contacts are made. This is an easy fix. Good luck.:)

Blue Impact
08-21-2003, 06:55 AM
Maybe at least one of the bulbs is of the wrong amperage. A long while ago one of my bulbs was burned out and so I replaced it with a wrong amperage bulb that looks identical to the burned bulb and it seemed like the lights were ok, but the little brake light on my dash is on. Upon close inspection (at night), the replaced bulb was a little brighter than the other three bulbs. I then got a right amperage bulb for it and that fixed the problem. Good luck.

Vinny
08-21-2003, 06:58 AM
like everyone else said, check all your bulbs

DanG86LX
08-21-2003, 08:33 AM
Guys with "Brake lamp" light problem, if u feel daring enough troubleshooting ur electrical prob, here is a schematic:
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17336

Aarie$$oul
08-21-2003, 01:07 PM
YO MY CAR IS DOING THE SAME THING!!! it doesn't come on all the time though. sometimes i can drive the car for awhile and it won't come on at all. I have replaced all the bulbs. alot of them were rusted when i first got the car. I think i might have put the wrong amperage in one of them since when i was replacing everything i got a little confused on if i put the right bulb in the right place.

which bulbs go where. I believe i used 1057's and 2057's.

help me out here.lol

Bloodlust
08-21-2003, 01:43 PM
Yeah it happens to me too sometimes. Sometimes it happens when I am driving for a long time. Then I turn my car off and on again and its gone. It must be a short or something. But ever since I put new bulbs in it doesnt do it anymore. So I figure from everything I see here it has to do with either the wiring to the bulbs or the bulbs themselves.

Mac
08-21-2003, 04:47 PM
You can get a new bulb and just replace 1 at a time and see which 1 is bad. Just keep putting the new bulb in each socket until it is fixed.

Sherlock87LXI
08-21-2003, 06:48 PM
This is something I just shruged off when i got my car...
but when you restart your car... (almost typed computer :flash: )
its off. Hit your brake... there it is again... shut car off. goes away. use brake... there it is!
different or same fir me??

Neuspeed007
08-22-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by greekguy7
On my 87 Lxi hatchback, there is one light that says Brake (this is for the emrgency brake and for hydraulic related problems) and another light that says Brake Lamp. This light comes on if one of my rear tailights is out!

So.. check your lights, if your setup is similar to mine.

Otherwise, check your emergency brake and check to see if your master cylinder is filled to the proper level (dont overfill though)

thats the one!

Neuspeed007
08-22-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Sherlock87LXI
This is something I just shruged off when i got my car...
but when you restart your car... (almost typed computer :flash: )
its off. Hit your brake... there it is again... shut car off. goes away. use brake... there it is!
different or same fir me??

sounds like ur brake fluid is low, but have somebody tell u if ur brake lamp is out when i put ur foot on the brake.

WHEN A LIGHT COMES ON IN THE DASH THAT MEANS POWER IS NOT GETTING THROUGH, SO IF SOMETHING GOES DEAD, THE DASH WILL TELL YOU

just a heads up

RustyHo88
08-22-2003, 01:56 PM
there is an another way to fix this problem. i would suggest of course, making sure all your lights are working, and that they are all the ones suggested by the manufacturer. if that still doesnt work, you can bypass the system completely. the light will go off and stay off, but when a light bulb actually burns out, your brake lamp out light wont work. there are two brake lamp sensors, one for each rear light. they should be a red or black box with a wiring harness connected to it... and no light bulbs in it. all you have to do to bypass the system is pull the green wire from the drivers side sensor, and ground it. super easy. if your car is an LXi, i have heard that it is a green wire with a black stripe. my car has three green wires in that harness, so you might have to try a couple of them. just draw a little diagram before you start, and try one at a time. that way, if you try to fix it later on, youll know where to start. or, if your lazy, just wrap some tin foil around all the wire ends and connect it to a screw or to the body. have fun!

Sherlock87LXI
08-27-2003, 04:07 PM
ok now i checked fluid and lights.
they are fine. i checked em all.. they all work.
still showing up.
im afraid to mess with my electrical...fear of messing up car MORE then before.
but at least i stoped the leak from my oil pan!
New plug fixed that.
one thing... if i get my oil changed and it had Castrol GTX in it and i forgot to specify and they put in pennzoil...is that bad?
same weight and all just diff companys oil... just wondering. not that i can do anything about it now....lol

Mac
08-27-2003, 05:02 PM
Did you check the high mount brake light?