PDA

View Full Version : If you had a choice in a magizine...

crackheadmel
02-19-2003, 07:44 AM
For all of you people that read car magizines wether it be Turbo, SCC, GRM, Super Street, Import Tuner etc., what are some articals or features that you would like to see, and what are some that you are just plain sick of reading about?

Thanks in advance

-Jacob

BensAccordLxi
02-19-2003, 07:46 AM
SCC for me. I also like Honda Tuner. I would like to see more on older cars and more on average people cars....not just the rich kid cars.

88LXi68
02-19-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by crackheadmel
For all of you people that read car magizines wether it be Turbo, SCC, GRM, Super Street, Import Tuner etc., what are some articals or features that you would like to see, and what are some that you are just plain sick of reading about?

Thanks in advance

-Jacob

I would like to see articles or features about Old School Imports ::cough::cough:: 3geez lol Seriously though, they dont cover enough of the older cars like the RWD corrollas, 1st gen CRXs, etc. Anyway, I am tired of seeing a civics and integras with an intake, exhaust, body kit and some altezza lights get in the magazine. I want to see some different stuff!

crackheadmel
02-19-2003, 08:44 AM
i have respect for the 3g accord, it was my first car, til i lost it in the snow, damn tree's...

i agree, most of the new honda and acura's get all the spotlight with there 50dollor cone filter hoseclamped to a 30dollor pipe that is available at home depot

i hadnt thought of the old ae86's, glad i posted here. What about tech articals? would a feature artical showing the rebuild of engines/trannys keep your intreast? what about articals showing how to setup your suspension? some basic and/or advance driving tecniques?

-Jacob

BensAccordLxi
02-19-2003, 08:55 AM
I want to see some articles on how to tweek your suspension and maybe some engine tuning( plug gap, timing advancment) I would also like to see some thing on best hp for the dollar.

88LXi68
02-19-2003, 08:58 AM
definitely rebuilds of engines and trannies because all the ones I am looking at are in american car magazines. They seem to do a nice job of having articles like that. I am also reading this one in Car Craft about building your first engine and not blowing your bank account. well it is titled something like that.

87accordHB
02-19-2003, 09:02 AM
well you didnt put mine in there. its AUTOTRADER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! heh

Site
02-19-2003, 09:11 AM
I read Grassroots Motorsports cover to cover each issue. I check out friends' issues of Honda Tuner & Import Tuner.

Honestly, I'm tired of seeing cars with "shop only" mods. "Sam took his car to [list expensive shop name here] and $50,000 later it looks like this!"

I like the DIY stuff. I'd be interested in seeing articles on:
-How to look for parts at the junkyard.
-Instinctive driving - letting the car find its own line through the curve (a zen-like technique I guess).
-Spring rates - how to match the right springs/coilovers for your car and the type of motorsports you compete in.
-Mod your car to brake like a BMW.
-Transmission gear ratios - difference between an AutoX setup and a Drag Race setup.
-Why a cast iron block is better than your aluminum junk :lol
-Why you will want to convert your fuel injected vehicle to carbs!

Oh, and anything on the 86-89 Accord!

1989 DX R
02-19-2003, 11:52 AM
I'm seriously looking at getting an RWD Corolla.

Mike89Accordcom
02-19-2003, 12:31 PM
I use to subscribe to like Superstreet, Sportcompact, and Hondatuning, but I go so sick of them only covering integras and civics that have aluminum wings, black wheels, and stupid paintjobs. They need to do some articles on some older Hondas, some older RX 7's, and some older preludes. The cars they put in these mags now are wack!

1988starter
02-19-2003, 12:35 PM
ea I stopped reading most of them I read sport compact sometimes but if I want to see ugly civics or altezzas I will just drive down the street and look at every other car.

PhydeauX
02-19-2003, 12:43 PM
Its a generalization, some mags have it to some extent and a few posts already mention it, but variety is the #1 thing missing from most magizines. I don't read any car mags personaly, though I like to swing by my old work and take a peek at auto week and I visit grass roots motor sports web site (mostly because I'm too cheap to subscribe). Some of the other magazines mentioned seem like they feature the same cars over and over again just with diferent paint jobs. I'm not saying that they always are full of crap and boreing articles. But the ones that I feel are interesting are usualy just a few pages in the back that have more adds for apc parts that words on them. I'm biased in that I like to read things that are technical and inovative, which the majority of things in the import scene that most of those magazines cater to are not.

andy

BensAccordLxi
02-19-2003, 12:54 PM
I got black wheels.....but I know what you're getting at. These mags do need more articles about other cars besides Civics and Itegras.

guaynabo89
02-19-2003, 03:48 PM
Are you starting your own magizine? Do you work for a magizine and just looking for input?

Anytime I see a Datsun 510, Corolla, or old school rx-7 I make sure to read the entire article. Turbo and SCC feature some oldschool cars.

Even Super Street is getting into the action just doing an article about a 2nd gen Celica with a grand national engine in it.

Bottom line............ more variety.

crackheadmel
02-19-2003, 04:48 PM
I want to see some articles on how to tweek your suspension

I have a similar artical already written, it breaks down camber caster and toe, and talks all about what they effect and how to adjust em

definitely rebuilds of engines and trannies because all the ones I am looking at are in american car magazines

great, im glad people are looking for a magizine like this, it would of sucked if nobody wanted to read what i wanted to write about

well you didnt put mine in there. its AUTOTRADER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! heh

:wtf:
I have no idea what your talking about :(

I read Grassroots Motorsports cover to cover each issue. I check out friends' issues of Honda Tuner & Import Tuner.

same here, only mag i subscribe to is GRM

I like the DIY stuff. I'd be interested in seeing articles on:
-How to look for parts at the junkyard.
-Instinctive driving - letting the car find its own line through the curve (a zen-like technique I guess).
-Spring rates - how to match the right springs/coilovers for your car and the type of motorsports you compete in.
-Mod your car to brake like a BMW.
-Transmission gear ratios - difference between an AutoX setup and a Drag Race setup.
-Why a cast iron block is better than your aluminum junk
-Why you will want to convert your fuel injected vehicle to carbs!

All great ideas and added to my list (damn this is getting long)

I visit grass roots motor sports web site (mostly because I'm too cheap to subscribe).

lol, i did that till i got a subscription.. thank god for free subscriptions

Are you starting your own magizine? Do you work for a magizine and just looking for input?

Yeah, i am starting my own. I dont work for a company, im just a college student that found the ultimate way to use his design degree and work on cars :D

Bottom line............ more variety.

noted

-Jacob

Reaper
02-19-2003, 05:50 PM
I would like to see more about older cars and show the process also.

Scorpion88LX
02-19-2003, 06:09 PM
how to's and tech. articles, variety is key and diy

johndej
02-19-2003, 07:14 PM
i'm curently subscribed to SCC but 2 of my uncles get GRM so i go over there and borrow thier copies and read them w/ my cuzs. oh, good luck to ya crackheadmel on starting a mag, i bet you could get a few peeps right off this board to subscribe. what year RX-7 ya got? my uncle has 2 (ons almost a junker but he is considiering building it back up) that he autoX and spec races. they are both 1st gens.

87accordHB
02-19-2003, 07:59 PM
you have never heard of the autotrader mag? its a mag that sells cars. lol. like www.autotrader.com, this is the mag..heh

Grant2k
02-19-2003, 10:58 PM
Hot Rod and Car Craft are the only ones i read. they are also the ones my dad subscribes too, but their tech articles are great, and internal cumbustion engines all work on the same idea so what you learn about a 455 Olds you can carry over to a 1829cc Honda. i read them cover to cover. i'd rather read about a 67 Duster with a 440 than a Civic and some article about what DJ is playing at Hot Import Nights.

A20A1
02-20-2003, 02:41 AM
Hot Rod and Car Craft for me too... I just like it cause they still have articles with carb tuning... and porting manifolds and such.
Plus a lot of it is old school cars.

crackheadmel
02-20-2003, 08:52 AM
what year RX-7 ya got?

its an 87 Base, but it has bad waterjacket seals.
I stated swaping T2 driveline parts on before snow fell but havent worked on it sence november. it will probably be in parts of the mag somewhere

i'd rather read about a 67 Duster with a 440 than a Civic and some article about what DJ is playing at Hot Import Nights.

lol, thats great, although i dont htink ill be doing stuff on a Duster ( i dont know anyone who has one, and im too poor to buy one) ill steer clear of the DJ phobia

I just like it cause they still have articles with carb tuning... and porting manifolds and such.

cool, again right with what i want to do, although i still have to learn more about carbs, but even if i dont know, i know people that are good with them, and ill learn from there

-Jacob

crackheadmel
02-24-2003, 07:05 PM
One little bump for you all

Anyone have any other questions opinions?

If not, thank much for the input and ill let this thread die in peace

Ill be around
-Jacob

89accord_lxi_coupe
02-25-2003, 05:50 PM
hey, what about my opinion? just noticed this thread. i read Super Street and that is how I got into imports. true that integras and civs get more spot. i like flashy but subtle, you know? i would wanna see more on older imports. how-to's on making custom parts. kickin up dust 3g style, know what i mean? help us find more aftermarket stuff.

-Nolan

HondaManDan
02-25-2003, 08:09 PM
Sport Compact Car for the cars.....
Super Street for the cars and the slapstick humor, spine quotes, and scantaly clad vixens :)

Defiant[YD]
02-26-2003, 12:30 PM
i'd like to add to the point that so far in the cars i've seen in honda tuner, the only homemade -mod those owners have done to their car is prolly just shine up their intake pipe, which was made by some brand name company, and maybe build a custom box for their subs by themselves.

looking at what most ppl on this board have done on their own, white gauges, clear lights, tails, lips, grills, etc...
it's amazing that our cars aren't on the covers of honda tuning, or those other mags.
sure, it's nice to just pay some one for some part or service and get featured on a mag just like that, but whatever happened to the individual who did their own mods? it's not like there was much aftermarket support 5-10 years ago for most cars, owners at that time actually did their own thing. it's like they'd garage the car for 6 months or something, and work on it the whole time to get it the way they want. now, all u have to do is go to a shop, and 3000 bucks later, ur done in a week or two, and wow, ur on a mag just cuz u have a new car and have lots of money to buy stuff. if mags are gonna do that, then why won't they cover guys like mike, or yasu, or justin?

just my rant though, cuz there are some ppl in those mags that have been in the business for a long time, and u gotta give props to that.

Grant2k
02-26-2003, 02:47 PM
i totally agree with that. having a car built for you and having it in a magazine under your name isn't cool.