PDA

View Full Version : Header issue (already)

InAccordance
05-23-2018, 07:11 PM
Got the header on, full exhaust to the rear. Actually found a shop who would run me full pipe =D

One thing is that the damn slip join on one of the tubes is leaking. It looks like when it was made, the downpipe part was made slightly too large and it doesn't seal just right.
It's an OBX header btw... pretty much the only one you can get now.

Any tips on sealing that one up? Thought about getting a t-bolt clamp and clamping it down. Just looking for ideas from anyone who has had experience with these type of headers.

Thanks!

firefighterwhite89
05-26-2018, 04:40 PM
When you drive for long distances and get sleepy, pull over and get out of the car. It's the exhaust slowly killing you. lol. I have the same header. Tried quiksteel and the liquid steel stuff, etc. practically everything shy of using cut aluminum cans and band clamps or having it welded. Same boat man. If you figure something out though, for the love of god, share it!

Dr_Snooz
05-26-2018, 06:28 PM
Any pics of the issue?

firefighterwhite89
06-04-2018, 10:57 PM
Any pics of the issue?Excuse the shit pics. OBX slip joint. Where the header meets the downpipe. Can see the obvious leakage.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180605/e4e37e69358e86ff5b15e1d85c247576.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180605/5aa74c490ecd999c36c486d57c88bdec.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

InAccordance
06-06-2018, 04:24 PM
Leaky header - Album on Imgur (http://imgur.com/a/n6Mym5m)

InAccordance
06-06-2018, 04:24 PM
The back slip joint leaks pretty badly. Only one that does, the rest fit together nicely. She gets LOUD under WoT.

Will say it was nice to finally get rid of those metal tubes (EGR and whatever that other one was for... carb heater?).
Ended up just cutting them off, crimped the ends and welded them up, it works lol

Dr_Snooz
06-08-2018, 06:57 PM
I suppose the proper way to seal that would be with brazing. It might be hard to get the thing installed again though. Could you use that muffler repair tape to any effect?

InAccordance
06-13-2018, 03:32 PM
Could try it I suppose. Even if just to find out how long it would last.

Dr_Snooz
06-13-2018, 06:29 PM
Try doing a Google Image search for "muffler clamps". That's what all the new exhaust kits are using and they must do okay. If you can find them in your size, it will probably work well without being irreversible.

InAccordance
06-17-2018, 01:47 PM
I did find some clamps that would fit so going to try that out. My only concern is from what I've been reading, the joints are supposed to be like that to give the metal room to expand and welding it or the like will cause cracks down the road.

bldir
06-22-2018, 10:25 AM
I don't know what the thread pitch is but the smaller diameter tube that you crimped and pinched off, there are plugs that are somewhat readily available. They aren't exactly cheap but not bad. I paid $20 for 2 plugs.

InAccordance
06-23-2018, 06:26 PM
You know, I went all around town looking for plugs for those. Even went to a nut and bolt store and they had ones that would fit but the threading was wrong. So I said fuck it and just crimped the pipe and welded it up. That part is fine, the issue at hand is the way these headders are made. They have a slip joint and tend to leak around it. 3 of the runners on mine seal up just fine but there is one that is leaking something fierce.

firefighterwhite89
07-08-2018, 01:50 AM
You know, I went all around town looking for plugs for those. Even went to a nut and bolt store and they had ones that would fit but the threading was wrong. So I said fuck it and just crimped the pipe and welded it up. That part is fine, the issue at hand is the way these headders are made. They have a slip joint and tend to leak around it. 3 of the runners on mine seal up just fine but there is one that is leaking something fierce.

Mines also that spot that leaks the most. Its the one I had to pull in the most to get the joint to match and slide on. The smallest (may be the bigger port, but IIRC it's the smaller EGR port) on the header...find someone with a blown A20 transmission and buy the fill bolt off of them. Fits like a charm. The bigger one, I also looked everywhere with absolutely zero luck.

DanJDT
07-11-2018, 12:17 AM
What about some of that heat tape muffler wrap?

Alternativly why not pull the thing off and flare the pipe just a little bit more. Maybe get some of the fireplace fiberglass stuff that they use to seal up the doors on the wood stoves. Small amount of that and see if you can wedge enough down in there.

It got the flex line underneath the engine? If its there id just weld it up and call it good.

DanJDT
07-11-2018, 12:20 AM
Looking over the pictures. I would take the header out and get the shop to flare the end a little more. Shouldnt take them any time at all .

InAccordance
07-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Holy shit why didn't I think of that...
You da man.

2ndGenGuy
07-16-2018, 04:38 PM
Damn. I just put one of these on my Lemons race car. I haven't started it up yet... but honestly, I thought the flexible joint was the part that was going to leak... ugh. I hope this doesn't leak on mine. I'll find out later this week... D:

InAccordance
07-17-2018, 07:09 PM
The ball socket on mine doesnt leak at all actually.

2ndGenGuy
08-21-2018, 08:40 PM
Beating on the car for 2 days straight around a race track seemed to generate enough heat to seal up my header. No more leaks here!

Yours still leaking?

InAccordance
08-22-2018, 05:51 AM
yep. it's that one runner that was made just a bit too large.