PDA

View Full Version : Replacing front passenger window

AZmike
02-19-2003, 09:54 AM
Well, someone decided to smash my front passenger window and steal the stereo and tools out of my car. Has anyone else had to deal with a front passeneger window replacement on a sedan? Since it will be a while until I have the tools to pull the door apart again (or pul one from the yard) I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has had to do this before. How bad a job is it? So far the best price I've found for a replacement window at a U-pull it place is $25. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks

MrBen
02-19-2003, 12:47 PM
Sounds reasonable to me. I've never done a replacement but I have put in a new crank assembly and it was a booger. I don't imagine it will be too tough but try not to scratch your window when sliding it in.

YK86
02-19-2003, 12:51 PM
The front window is very easy to replace. If I remember right, the how-to I wrote up for removing your window regulator explains how to rip out the window first so you might want to check that in the how-to section.

Tim Yoak
02-21-2003, 08:39 PM
all you have to do is remove the door panel and remove the two bolts that hold in the glass. just get a shop vac to get all the broken glass out of the door. or pull the door panel and drive to a do it yourself car wash and vaccume it out. the one from the junkyard probably has the two connectors at the bottom of the glass. just bolt it back in.

DBMaster
02-22-2003, 07:39 AM
$25 is a good price. I had to replace the passenger front window in my coupe (yeah, it's bigger than the sedan window). I bought it new at a glass wholesale place for $75. It's a PPG window just like the original.

The procedure is pretty much as described by Tim above. The window will have the threaded parts already in the bottom of the glass so it should be prety obvious how to secure it. You definitely want to get all the bits of glass out of the door or you will hear it every tijme you close it.

njpeter
02-22-2003, 08:29 AM
before you button it up, check the way the window seals, a road test is a good idea..windows have some adjustment range and if you don't get it just right, it won't fully seal and you have annoying wind noise.

just got back from a week in Japan and sorry to report I did not see one damm 3g the entire time..lots of toyotas and unkwnon brand cars for US

DBMaster
02-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Actually, on these cars I noticed no adjustment. It was not necessary, anyway, as the window was a perfect fit.