PDA

View Full Version : custom short shifter

slammedLXI
02-19-2003, 11:06 AM
how would i go about getting this done or possibly doing it myself? they dont sell them anywhere for our cars right?

PhydeauX
02-19-2003, 11:10 AM
Pacesetter sells one and shifters from 84-87 civics will also work.

andy

Mike's89AccordLX
02-19-2003, 11:17 AM
I think if you want a custom short shifter talk to 87Hybrid I was told he makes them but I couldn't tell you if he has time for more. I was going to get a pacesetter one even with hearing all the complaints. I think it will be good, I think eith every product not everyone will be satisfied. I think since pacesetter is really the only company that makes things for our cars we shouldn't bad mouth them.

Blue Impact
02-19-2003, 11:23 AM
If you want to look only then do what I did and use a saw.

Mike's89AccordLX
02-19-2003, 11:26 AM
That's crazy, only for looks though b/c it does nothing for actually shorter throws. If everyone already doesn't know that. I can't wait to get a short shifter.

Blue Impact
02-19-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
That's crazy, only for looks though b/c it does nothing for actually shorter throws. If everyone already doesn't know that. I can't wait to get a short shifter.

Yeah, it's just for looks. I have no intention of racing my 3G Accord anyways.

PhydeauX
02-19-2003, 02:28 PM
Cutting the shifter down does shorten its throw. Think about it, its a lever, your shortneing one end. Most short shifters shorten the top and lenghten the bottom. You would have to shorten the top more to get the same reduction in travel with out lengthing the bottom. There is nothing wrong with the pacesetter. I have one and it functions as it should and is adjustable. As long as you don't adjust it for a rediculously short throw, you can take the thing down to 1/2" of travel but you gotta be popeye to move the thing, its fine. For those who still question the quality of pacesetter there is the DC sports shifter. I already mentioned the fact that 84-87 civic shifters work in the accord, and no one is going to question the quality DC's products (the price maybe, but not the quality).

andy

Twisted 87lxi
02-20-2003, 11:53 PM
I'll second that, I just hacked off about 2 inches off of my shifter w/ a dremel on Monday, and I'll say this, it definately improved my shift throw, although I don't have any experience w/ a real one, but I know it sure helped a bit. However w/ my fucked up tranny it doens't actually benefit my racing ability... :lol

slammedLXI
02-21-2003, 08:08 PM
what do u do to get the shift knob to stay on? u need threads in the lever right?

od2681
02-21-2003, 08:19 PM
why not just hold hte stick all the way at the bottom..kinda makes shorter throws...thats what i tried a couple of times but its hard to reach all the way down for me..cuzz im tall and have to put the seat all the way back and half way down...LOL

xbi0s
02-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Pacesetter makes one for our car, 86-89

$49 @ JC Whitney