PDA

View Full Version : Signature size

PhydeauX
02-19-2003, 11:45 AM
I know we have a policy regarding the size of images in signatures, but what about overall size. A 20kb image can be quite large with few colors and high compression. There are also a few people who have listed every thing they have ever done to their car, including new wiperblades and glowin the dark valve stem caps in paragraph form in their sig. Well thats nice and all that their proud of it but when the signature has more content then the post, and expicaly when they've posted a few responses to the same thread it gets quite annoying. We need to some up with some sort of concencus on this. Images should conform to a certain dimension as well as file size and the amount of text should be limited. For images I would suggest 100-150 pixels for the height, and any width thats within reason*2 as with doesn't really add to the overall size of the post. For text I'd like to see no more then 5 lines*1 of regular sized text, smaller text to take up no more space then the equivelent of 5 lines of regual text. For sigs with both text and images I would restrict the image height more, allowing more text for a shorter image. My suggestions are a bit restrictive, but I feel a sig is to be more of a little something to set post apart then a big ad. I see nothing wrong with wanting to display your mods, but it gets redundant very quickly. It would be nice if mark or someone could add a section to the user profile for mods lists and then put a link on the post so those who want to look at them can click.

*1 That would be 5 lines again at full screen in 800x600, accounting for word wrap, not 5 return characters.

*2 by within reason I mean not large enough to cause the browser window to horizontaly scroll at full screen in 800x600 resolution

andy

2old_honda
02-20-2003, 01:30 AM
I agree

MrBen
02-22-2003, 07:20 PM
How about NO signature listing your mods. If you really cared you would check their profile.

87accordlxi
02-22-2003, 11:20 PM
all good points, and i think i know some of the users you may be referring to :D i wish we could place more limits on signatures, but its hard enough to keep track of the "around 20kb" rule as it is. i've given up on PM'ing people everytime i delete a signature, because we've gone through the routine so many times where we posted the guidelines. trouble is, for every seasoned member that follows the rules and adjusts his sig, theres a newbie that comes along with a 80kb image and 30 lines of mods that include "krylon painted interior" and "all red taillights".

basically if you see a particularly annoying signature, either PM that person asking them to slim it down, or PM a mod or admin about it.

rare_89lxi_coupe
03-31-2003, 06:03 PM
good points and good solutions, but they easily get gripy and offensive.

88LX-iSedan
05-06-2003, 01:48 PM
Is my signature to big? ..If so lemme know and i'll just get rid of it

PhydeauX
06-10-2003, 02:44 PM
This has been dead for a while but I've felt the need to revive it. I was browsing around killing time at work as I was building a server and noticed a sig that took up my entire screen, I had to scroll down to see it all. I took my small laptop today because I felt like getting my unix on. It only has a 1024x768 screen as opposed to the 1600x1200 or what ever monster the other laptop has which is probably why I noticed. But still thats just rediculous. We really need to do something about that, its quite annoying.

andy

87accordlxi
06-11-2003, 01:07 PM
like i said, if anyone sees a sig that's outta control, then PM me about it.

MrBen
07-17-2003, 06:13 PM
How about PMing the person first. Mod ation is probably too harsh at first. I know I was royally ticked off when Joe deleted my signature.

Also need to establish a communication conflict between Mods and fellow members. There was confusion earlier about how much 20kb is. I know that the mods, or at least Joe, believe that 20,000 bytes is 20kb. In reality, it is not. One Kilobyte is 1024 bytes. Roughly converted, 20kb is 20480 bytes. The aftermath? Confusion, resulting in my signature being permenantly deleted.

Thanks for listening.

88' Accord Ltd
07-17-2003, 06:43 PM
Or what we could do is leave the picture posting to the accord pics section and off topic and have maybe 1 or 2 lines of text for the signatures ONLY. That would mean quicker loading pages for the 56k users and less clutter to sift through to actually read the posts. I do like the idea about having a mods list in your profile though. I realize that a lot of the sigs are nice and short but if people are going to complain and stuff then remove it all together, from everyone. We can use avatars to post a small pic of our car if we want. I know a lot of people won't agree with me but its one persons point of view..

MrBen
07-17-2003, 07:04 PM
I pretty much agree with you. Another idea is that only foundation members could have pics in their signature. This would be an effective way of controlling the population. I think the one or two lines of text would be a little small, considering text doesnt take up much space. We could allow just text in signatures, and limit it to a said amount of lines.

BITESIZE
07-17-2003, 07:22 PM
I agree about the mods, if someone cares, they'll look at your website or they'll pm you. And is mine o.k. ?

Mike's89AccordLX
07-17-2003, 09:08 PM
I think what people need to learn to do is to make the text smaller like mine. My sig isn't big. I just think that people need to figure out a way to list what they want in a smaller neater way. I have seen some huge ones lately.

NXRacer
07-18-2003, 07:46 AM
i belong to a fiesta board and they have a limit of 200X200 pixels for sig pictures. I think they even have a limit on sig text length i think. Its run by vBulletin. Don't the mods have access to set peramiters to sig file sizes and stuff???

Mike's89AccordLX
07-18-2003, 07:48 AM
I think that would be really good b/c then Mods wouldn't have to worry about it again.

88' Accord Ltd
07-18-2003, 07:45 PM
Yeah no kidding, its too bad this forum is overlooked though...

A20A1
07-18-2003, 09:49 PM
Just make a cardoamin page and put a link in the sig... listing mods is getting annoying... i used to do it but I stopped.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-18-2003, 09:51 PM
Yeah I suppose that's a good fix. What about a pic in the sig? Would that still be allowed?