PDA

View Full Version : help me choose a sub to best match my amp!

bobafett
02-19-2003, 02:05 PM
ok i am looking for 12" sub/s i am leaning towards 1, since i know it will be adequete, but of course two will look and sound better. but i am into getting my car lighter, so one may have to suffice.

anyway here is a link about the same amp i have.
http://www.carstereo.com/classifieds/details.cfm?id=664

here are some specs out of the manual:

Planet Audio HVT752 2 Channel Amp

stereo
4 ohms - 50 x 2
2 ohms - 80 x 2
1 ohm - 130 x 2

mono bridged
4 ohms - 160 x 1
2 ohms - 260 x 1

minumum impedence 1 ohm.

tmd - less than 0.02%
imd - less than 0.02%
frequency respons 10 Hz - 100 KHz -3dB
power response 10 Hz - 30 KHz -1dB
input sensitivity 100mV -5.7V
input impedance 22K-Ohm
SNR - 103dB
phase response - lagging 15 degrees @ 20KHz
crossovers - low and high pass, variable from 55Hz - 4.2KHz

its supposed to be a good amp. it WILL run 1ohm safely... says so right on the amp!

anyway i want to run 2 or 1 ohm. so i think that 2 2ohm 12s would be fun to have bridged! hehe :)

anyway what subs/enclosures would you guys recommend? keep in mind i dont feel like buying another amp for different subs. so lets just give them a good match ok?

i am liking www.ikesound.com so thats where i am planning on ordering from, what do you reccomend?

goldyaccord
02-19-2003, 02:53 PM
Chris,

if you can find a RF He or Hx 2 sub... for a great price get that one.

other than that I'm not too knowledgeable on any other subs..

what's you spending limit for subs?

bobafett
02-19-2003, 02:54 PM
http://7925.adahost.com/computer/item13452.html

i am thinking about 2 of these. they can be ran at 1 ohm if i get two of them right?

i want to take advantage of the fact that my amp will run 1ohm stable... so i think this is a wise choice, i also know that i am totally clueless when it comes to car audio! :D

i dont want to spend over 200 for subs/enclosure

goldyaccord
02-19-2003, 03:04 PM
Chris you DOOOOG!

I have that sub right now in my Dad's Jaguar. He took mine to texas so i'm driving his lol

that would be a good choice i assume. I havent really messed with the subs till today when i'm trying to bridge them...

check out the thread i made, Pics are up now.

as for encloser... make your own.

as for wiring the sub to read 1 ohm, i'm not sure how to do that. I can wire them in 2 ohm load but not sure about 1 ohm.

bobafett
02-19-2003, 03:15 PM
hm.... interesting, u can run those subs at 2ohm by themselves eh?

so in theory could i run 2 of them together bridged at 2 ohm each for 1ohm mono (bridged) and then get about 250w to each sub?

i am only looking of the specs and guessing, they dont actually show a rating for 1ohm mono. but it WILL run it. :D

from looking at my amp specs, would it be best to power 1 of those subs or 2 with it? i just want the best boom for the buck, and dont want to buy more amps, or need to buy more amps...

but would my amp be strong enough/too strong to run one of them?

thanks for any feedback you guys!

ps josh thats cool... lol i forgot you were using the same ones.. even though i JUST read your thread! :)

goldyaccord
02-19-2003, 03:21 PM
If you were to use one sub, you will be getting 260 watts goin to it in 1 ohm mode.

u can use two subs in 2ohm load but it would push 80 watts each.

I suggest you just run one sub in 1 ohm load.

As for wiring it.. i'm looking it up right now. I'll get back to you on that.

bobafett
02-19-2003, 03:25 PM
1 sub. 1ohm.. and get 260w... is that gonna sound nice with that sub, or do they really want more power? i assume 260 is very safe, but i want to make sure it hits hard.

also were not sure if it CAN be wired to 1 ohm yet.

as for running 2 subs... why couldnt i get the setup going at 1 ohm, then each sub would get 130w.

but if i can get 130w apeice stereo, why couldnt i bridge them at 2ohm each, and run 2 subs, 1ohm now, and snag like 250each? is this possible or am i living in a dream world? understand i dont know wtf i am talking about, so its prolly wrong! heheh :D

TommyJ
02-19-2003, 06:14 PM
if ya want a boomin car with one 12 , get a infinity kappa perfect 12 , i had just one in my old accord it out pounded my 2 12 inch orions i had previously , and they can be found at a decent price at future shop, and other places , i ended up sellin the sub to my friend for his integra and hes got a 300 watt alpine amp runnin it and it sounds crazy , beats the hell outta the car , good luck searchin ,

bobafett
02-20-2003, 03:57 PM
hmm. i think i am gonna pick up that kicker sub. if u read the link i gave abou that amp, it says its rated at 500x1 at 2 ohm mono! i could hook it up like that no sweat! would be sweet to pound that much power into it.. lol i would need to power my 6.5s to keep up! heheh...

64 bucks, and i would build my own box i think... not too shabby!

SiCReX
02-23-2003, 11:36 PM
nah you should get 2 10s. I think 2 10s sound a hell of a lot better than 1 12. they are just too big and it seems like to even make it sound nice you need a huge amp.

bobafett
02-24-2003, 12:30 AM
i have 2 10s now, and i know that 1 12 sounds fine....

also my amp is perfect for this sub. i can get 500w to it, without breaking a sweat, and the sub is only rated to 400w, so i am good in that respect/

plus i am interested in saving weight, my current box is so heavy that i cannot move it alone... thats BAD it prolly weighs 100lbs and its akward trying to slide it around my trunk with no room... lol anyway i want a smaller woofer setup, and a box for 1 12" sub weighs a lot less than a box for 2 10"s

87DXHatch
02-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Hold up now... I have some questions.

Does the amp just say "1 ohm stable!" or does it say "1 ohm MONO stable!" because there is a world of difference. If the amp is 1 ohm stable in STEREO then it is only 2 ohm stable in MONO. If you run it at 1 ohm mono you're asking for trouble, IMO.

Now for those subs... they are DUAL 2 ohm. This means that 1 sub can be wired to 1 ohm or 4 ohms. If you got TWO then you could wire them to: .5 ohms, 2 ohms, 8 ohms, and a couple other configurations. The point is that with TWO you CAN'T get a nominal 1 ohm load, but you could get a nominal 2 ohm load which is what it sounds like your amp is rated for. However, if you just get 1 sub, then you can wire each coil to each channel on the sub and it will perform as if you have the sub running 4 ohm mono.

bobafett
02-24-2003, 11:45 AM
damn you for knowing what youre talking about.

come to think of it. my amp can run 1 ohm stereo, and only 2 ohm mono... :D i naturally assumed 1 ohm is 1 ohm! hehe

anyway if really want only 1 sub... so should i get a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub, and hook it up as 2ohm and run mono? i think thats my best bet. i just need a sub that can run 2ohm with 1 sub.

http://7925.adahost.com/computer/item12686.html would this sub be a better choice?

thanks for your intput, i am glad someone spoke up, otherwise i woudl have screwed myself!

87DXHatch
02-24-2003, 12:24 PM
I try to help where I can ;)

You got it right, if you only want 1 sub, get a dual 4 ohm sub and wire it in parallel and run it mono.

That sub would work better than the previous one you posted, simply going by wiring options.

dXsquared
02-24-2003, 12:39 PM
CHRIS! you can wire the subs to a 2 ohm load! you use a combo... dont let one guys word make a decision for you! i can tell you how...

Travis

EDIT: never mind...

87DXHatch
02-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Um, no, a dual 2 ohm sub can NOT be wired to 2 ohms unless you take each coil individually... and he doesn't have two amps to run it. However, the SECOND sub he posted is dual 4 ohm, and THAT can be wired to 2 ohms for mono.

Why tell him, why not type it out and tell everyone?

dXsquared
02-24-2003, 12:46 PM
never mind... last time i talked to him he was goin with a pair... but i see he is gettin just one now... you are right...

Travis