PDA

View Full Version : That black box behind the engine....

Donnyten
06-08-2018, 05:54 AM
Is just hondas catch can? I could essentially replace it with another catch can setup? Reason being it looks old and cruddy inside and the tube Coming from the top of the breather box to the intake snapped

gcovarrubias412
06-08-2018, 05:55 AM
Is just hondas catch can? I could essentially replace it with another catch can setup? Reason being it looks old and cruddy inside and the tube Coming from the top of the breather box to the intake snapped

Woaahhh thats not a catch can. Its an emissions thing.

Donnyten
06-08-2018, 06:25 AM
I see. Can you explain more as to what it does?

Donnyten
06-08-2018, 07:06 AM
its the breather chamber for the crankcase. Seems like i could fabricate something similar or i could go to a junk yard and pull one from a slightly older honda that has the neck on the box to allow for easy attachment of hose. The latter? Naht hatt'nyn. Just need someone to confirm if what i wanna do is possible or is that black box pure magic

gcovarrubias412
06-08-2018, 08:32 AM
its the breather chamber for the crankcase. Seems like i could fabricate something similar or i could go to a junk yard and pull one from a slightly older honda that has the neck on the box to allow for easy attachment of hose. The latter? Naht hatt'nyn. Just need someone to confirm if what i wanna do is possible or is that black box pure magic

Ohh okay. Well, on my 84 Accord it has a hose coming out of the box. I wanted to delete the hose and box and just have the breather sticking out. But you could definitely do something else. It wouldn’t weld anything permanent into the engine bay, though. Something that bolts up would be better in my opinion.

Shane86
06-08-2018, 09:21 AM
It can be replaced with a sealed catchcan you have to modify a D series block plug

Donnyten
06-08-2018, 11:58 AM
do you have information on how to do that?

Shane86
06-08-2018, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=Donnyten;1206870]do you have information on how to do that?[/QUOTE. Read my buIld.i use an open catch can if you have emissions you'll have to have a sealed one. Google Honda sealed catch cans. You will probably need a three port catch can one hose that goes to the bottom of the oil pan back of the block and into the intake

Donnyten
06-09-2018, 12:44 PM
do you no where i can find a replacement water pump inlet pipe? it rusted out and has a hole in it. dont want a junk yard replacement

Shane86
06-09-2018, 02:09 PM
do you no where i can find a replacement water pump inlet pipe? it rusted out and has a hole in it. dont want a junk yard replacement

The pipe is a junk yard part.

Donnyten
06-09-2018, 02:17 PM
can it be replaced with a hose some how?

Donnyten
06-09-2018, 02:20 PM
nevermind, forgot that it also has outlets on the pipe.. well this sucks

InAccordance
06-13-2018, 03:35 PM
Well I suppose you could McGuyver it with some pipe and fittings from a hardware store lol

Dr_Snooz
06-13-2018, 06:24 PM
LOL. I was thinking the same thing. The only tricky part is connecting it in to the water pump housing. That's where mine failed. It's holding together with some RTV I smeared around it, but when that fails, I'll be up a creek. I suppose you could tap some pipe threads into the housing on the block and use NPT pipe. I don't think there's enough clearance to use a hardware connection like a bulkhead fitting. The water pump vanes would hit it. It's a tricky project. If someone figures it out, I hope they post a How-To.

You could braze it back together, I guess.

Edit: I think I have some pipe threading tools around here somewhere. I wonder if you could tap it outright or if you'd have to drill the housing out more first.

Donnyten
06-14-2018, 03:31 AM
i thought about doing that. i managed to get must of the rust off with some vinegar, then i covered the holes and spray treated it with some high heat automotive black rust preventative stuff i got from home depot. vinegar works really well. the inside of the pipe still looks nasty. Im going to fill it with some evaporust stuff i got from O reilys auto parts block off both ends and let it sit for a day or two. If this doesn't work i'm going to take the pipe to a metal fabrication shop to see if they can just make a new one

Dr_Snooz
06-16-2018, 09:12 PM
Sounds like a good plan.