PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean the fuel tank?

jjsamc
06-11-2018, 11:14 PM
Seem to have an ongoing fuel system problem because of a dirty gas tank.
A couple times a year the car starts loosing power because #1 fuel injector gets clogged. I take it out and notice some orange colored paste that I have to clean out of that injector.
When replacing the fuel filter, there's a lot of rusty looking "sand" that comes out of the old filter.
Recently, the fuel pump died and when installing a new pump, I looked inside the tank with a flashlight and saw piles of fine rusty particles accumulated inside the tank in a few areas.
- If I remove the fuel tank, what is a good way to clean all that crap out?
- Should I look into replacing the tank with a new one instead? Is it the same tank for cars with and without fuel injection? Some places offer a different one for each, and others don't.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Oldblueaccord
06-12-2018, 03:47 AM
personally I would go new and never look back...but there are some sealants you can use to seal up old gas tanks. its pretty involved and you have to follow all the steps or it wont last.

Wild guess is the filler neck is rusting into the tank.

gcovarrubias412
06-12-2018, 05:00 AM
personally I would go new and never look back...but there are some sealants you can use to seal up old gas tanks. its pretty involved and you have to follow all the steps or it wont last.

Wild guess is the filler neck is rusting into the tank.

Lol WILD ass guess [emoji23] probably right, though. Seems like thats where it would start.

gcovarrubias412
06-12-2018, 05:02 AM
Seem to have an ongoing fuel system problem because of a dirty gas tank.
A couple times a year the car starts loosing power because #1 fuel injector gets clogged. I take it out and notice some orange colored paste that I have to clean out of that injector.
When replacing the fuel filter, there's a lot of rusty looking "sand" that comes out of the old filter.
Recently, the fuel pump died and when installing a new pump, I looked inside the tank with a flashlight and saw piles of fine rusty particles accumulated inside the tank in a few areas.
- If I remove the fuel tank, what is a good way to clean all that crap out?
- Should I look into replacing the tank with a new one instead? Is it the same tank for cars with and without fuel injection? Some places offer a different one for each, and others don't.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

I second oldblueaccord’s response. Get a new one. The problem might start up again with the same one.