PDA

View Full Version : i want better braking

od2681
02-20-2003, 08:09 AM
just found out how much braking sucks on my car.....
i mean everything is new..brake, pads rotors, etc....but the stopping power is not that good...i guess i want faster stopping power.....any suggestions..
and please be very clear...thanks:super:

Grant2k
02-20-2003, 08:12 AM
use the search button! there are so many posts about this! i find stuff out here all the time without posting anything by using the search button! sorry for the ranting, but it's been bothering me.

AZmike
02-20-2003, 09:16 AM
Have you bled the system recently? New pads take a while to break in too.

markmdz89hatch
02-20-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by od2681
just found out how much braking sucks on my car.....
i mean everything is new..brake, pads rotors, etc....but the stopping power is not that good...i guess i want faster stopping power.....any suggestions..
and please be very clear...thanks:super:

OR if you wanted to.. ...it makes for a good Sunday project, you could convert the front brakes to what's found in the 88-89 LX-i's.

It's really not that hard, all you need is the entire front knuckle, caliper bracket, caliper, rotor, and pads for either side, and also the proportioning valve, and master cylinder from the same 88-89 LX-i. The reason for saying the 88-89 LX-i is b/c they adopted a much better (IMO) braking system up front which obviously improved braking all around. You'll also need to be running on a wheel no less then 14" diameter. This is neccessary to clear the larger caliper and rotor. You CANNOT use 13" wheels.

It's been rumored that you don't need to change the whole knuckle, but trust me, I tried it without the new knuckle, and let's just say I had to make an emergency run to the j/y for a pair of knuckles.

Hope this helps...
...then there's obviously the aftermarket rotors like Brembo and PowerSlot that you can look into as well. However, the upgrade I suggested should be first on the list, again, IMHO.

Haolerot
02-20-2003, 12:50 PM
or maybe you can spend lots off $$$ and buy drilled rotors and performance calipers and pads

markmdz89hatch
02-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Haolerot
or maybe you can spend lots off $$$ and buy drilled rotors and performance calipers and pads

Yeah, but do that after the 88-89 LX-i upgrade.

That's what I did, I did that upgrade on my 89 DX, then also did SS lines, Brembo c/d rotors, and axis pads. This little hatch stops on a friggin' dime now.

bobafett
02-20-2003, 02:12 PM
can you buy the aftermarket rotors for the 88-89 that are larger than the 86-87 ones? or is it a generic 86-89 size that is smaller?

i am thinking about upgrading to the 88-89 lxi braking system when i get the 4 wheel disc brake project out of the way!

anchovies
02-20-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by bobafett
can you buy the aftermarket rotors for the 88-89 that are larger than the 86-87 ones?

yes