PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about this black box to pcv intake hose one more time

Donnyten
07-02-2018, 02:18 PM
The hose is at the top part is splitting and wont gracefully accept a new pcv valve without tearing

First off, is this thing supposed to be rubber or rock hard plastic?

Secondly, i can't find this part anywhere.

Third, I'd either like to completely do away with the stock black box setup or do a diy catch can setup. If anyone has specific STEP BY STEP and not ' search the forum' instructions, please let me know. I did search the forum but did not come up with needed answers.

Lastly, I'd gladly accept an adapter piece that would allow me to use two separate hoses, one for the pcv end of the hose and another for the blackbox hose. if anyone knows an exact adapter i can use, WHERE TO GET IT FROM, or complete with the measurements of said adapter, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

this part has put me in a bind in my rebuild, can't proceed without getting this sorted out.

thanks

InAccordance
07-02-2018, 03:59 PM
Supposed to be rubber but after almost 30 years and heat, turns to basically brittle plastic.
Junk yard part at his point or you could try a dealership but I doubt that would pan out. Worth a shot though.
Right now mine is just wide open, smells and smokes a little but that's part of the fun!

A catch can would need to be vented to allow pressure to escape. They make nice ones with filtered vents and a screw cap on the bottom for easy draining but they are a little pricey.

Donnyten
07-02-2018, 05:11 PM
ugh, think im just gonna smother this hose with black rtv and call it a day. silly how this part is no where to be found and more than likely any junkyard with this part will be exactly the same, hardened rubba... if only i could find a place that could make a replica for me....

Dr_Snooz
07-02-2018, 06:57 PM
The hillbilly method would be to take your box and PCV valve down to Home Depot and stand in the specialty fittings aisle, test fitting stuff until you come up with something that works. A more machinist way would be to use your dial calipers to measure the openings, then browse through a site like McMaster Carr (mcmaster.com) until you find what you need to make the transition. No one's really done it that I know of, so you'd be the first. Be sure to write up a How-To for everyone else if you figure it out.

Alternatively:
https://www.3geez.com/forum/performance/69070-how-diy-catch-can.html

InAccordance
07-04-2018, 06:16 PM
I may have to take the hillbilly approach, mine actually ripped off at the box itself, woops!
Plus I have nowhere to hook it up anymore lol

Donnyten
07-14-2018, 01:39 PM
heres my solution to this stupid problem.

went to lowes, in the plumbing section and got a "Proline PN# BHB-396NLB 877074" barbed adapter 1/2-IN X 3/4-IN" piece . the connection is joined together with a piece of rubber 1/2 IN hose I got from o Reillys that i cut. its pretty snug but im gonna use screw clamps on both ends anyway

black part goes into the black box of course, then the other end i will use to feed through the little hole on the intake where the pcv valve normally sits. it will be inline , then fed with another smaller hose to the intake.. will allow for easy change if i need to with no crimped finger action or pcv breakage going on.. goodbye stupid obsolete honda hose

Dr_Snooz
07-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Oh man. That's nice! No fooling. You did well. Let us know how it works.

InAccordance
07-14-2018, 08:14 PM
atta boi

2ndGenGuy
07-17-2018, 02:13 PM
I attached a couple photos showing how we did ours. This is an LXi, so it's probably a bit different.

Donnyten
07-17-2018, 02:50 PM
interesting, yours is mounted in the bottom of the box, did you plug the top port? i have an lxi as well

2ndGenGuy
07-17-2018, 05:48 PM
I think you're just looking at the picture wrong. The brass fitting that I installed screwed into the hole in the top of the box. You have to rip out that old hard plastic nipple then thread in the big ass brass adapter.

Dr_Snooz
07-17-2018, 07:41 PM
Just so others can follow along, we're looking at a 3/4" male NPT to 1/2" barb fitting, then sized down again to 3/8"? Do I have that right? Did you use any kind of sealant around the threaded part?

2ndGenGuy
07-19-2018, 08:28 PM
There's a reducer that I threaded into the breather box, and an NPT / barb fitting threaded into that. I don't remember the sizes I used though. Haven't used any sealant on it, but I suppose some Teflon tape can't hurt.

Grinder_1
05-28-2019, 11:49 PM
Since I am having a hard time getting my questions answered from posting, I am reduced to reading through every single title and reading everything in it.... So old posts shall be revived until I have my car running again.

So this hose that goes to the black box is supposed to be part of the black box? I didn't realize the hose from intake was going through to pcv valve and beyond, so when I pulled my head (with intake) and there was just a small hint of resistance.... But by the time I caught it... It was free. Now I am hunting for a major vacuum leak. Would this hose to black box connection being broke be enough to stop car from idling at all?

Donnyten
05-29-2019, 05:32 AM
it aint part of the black Box but I would consider it to be part of the assembly so yes. The PCV valve sits more or less on top of the black Box thru a weird hose you cant find anymore at the dealers. .after 30+ years it stiffens and breaks if u mess with it
Creatin' more problems ..anotha hose at the bottom goes to the engine block then one to the oil pan.

When I did my cylinder head it broke off as the hose was stiff and odd shaped. Being obsolete, initially I used a fitting I got from the hardware store and put it in line the PCv- then from pcv , via another hose to intake.

On cars this old, hose integrity is highly questionable. Replaced all of mine when I had the head off. When redoing my head for the second time i used a black box from another 80s honda and this version had a house conect already built in eliminating the reducer i got, so i used that instead.. easier.

I suppose if your pcv valve gets stuck it can create a vacuum leak if it gete stuck open

Similarly, if your valve is stuck closed
pressure generates and your car stops idling/stalls.

Neither which seems to be the problem from your post. I suppose if the weird pcv shaped hose to the black box isnt secure it can cause air to get in in between the connections

InAccordance
05-29-2019, 06:05 PM
If your PCV is still connected to the intake, then yes it would cause a leak if the hose on the box is broken. Block the port the PCV goes to and see what happens.