PDA

View Full Version : Possible rear main seal LEAK??

Donnyten
07-05-2018, 12:51 PM
Really hope this isnt a rear seal leak. while re doing the oil pan today i noticed there was a pool of sludge in this transmission area at the bottom near what appears to be a gear lever cable.. i got most of it out with a shop towel. the black boot to the cable is also RIPPED. is there any way i can change out the boot without removing the transmission? sorry for the upside pic

InAccordance
07-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Honestly it's hard to tell, but if you're already in there you may as well change the main seal. At least then you know for sure.
As for that boot, I don't see how without disconnecting that cable.

Donnyten
07-05-2018, 01:30 PM
how hard is it to do the seal? i'm basically reassembling the engine now.. what all is involved? only time i've done a rear main seal was when the engine was out on another car. i can basically put the engine back together and worry about this last right? i do not have a hoist

InAccordance
07-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Not hard, worst part is taking the flywheel or flexplate off. It's just like a cam seal, a ring that plops right in. Just be super careful, when taking the old one out, not to scratch up the surfaces the seal sits in.

Donnyten
07-05-2018, 03:27 PM
well i've done it before, but as far as removing the transmission and what have you is what i'm talking about... that shift cable, can that easily be taking out ? i want to at least replace the boot.. looks like theres a 13 or 14 mm bolt to a case i can remove... not too sure

... i highly doubt this can all be done in the car btw, unless its possible? i refreshed my engine while in the car, got every gasket, seal in the engine replaced except..... the rear main seal, really wish i could replace this while in the car. thought about waiting until i replace the transmission ( currently 270k on the transmission).. i've never replaced an auto trans before, nor do i have a jack for it.

Shane86
07-05-2018, 05:32 PM
I don't know much about automatic transmission but I know you can remove the manual transmission why the block still in the car you have to have the oil pan on and a jack to hold the under the pan because the rear mount is connected to the transmission. if you got two Jacks you can do it.

Donnyten
07-06-2018, 05:13 AM
Sure wish i could do that with an automatic

Donnyten
07-06-2018, 08:56 AM
can the cylinder head bolts be reused?

Shane86
07-06-2018, 03:21 PM
can the cylinder head bolts be reused?

I've done it before. But i recommend upgrading to Mazda Miata ARP head studs part number 218-4703

Donnyten
07-06-2018, 03:26 PM
looks like those bolts will run me 100+ bucks. i'm strapped for cash right now so if i can reuse the old bolts with no problem i will. i do have another question.

I lost the oil control jet piece that goes in the block, i can not for the life of me find it :( and it is discontinued and obsolete.. is there another honda i can grab this from? no salvage yard has 86-89 hondas around here and i'm stuck in my reassembly until i can get one.. or can i put something in its place? the part number is 11116-PH1-000. websites claim to have it in stock actually don't.

InAccordance
07-06-2018, 06:18 PM
Why wouldn't you be able to remove an auto trans with the engine still in the car?

Donnyten
07-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Ive never done it before so i was just wondering. Would really like to have rebuilt/refreshed the transmission while it was still in chassis as i dont have a hoist

InAccordance
07-11-2018, 06:22 PM
I guess I'm looking at it from my perspective.. If I wanted to pull the trans, all I'd have to do in order to take it from the top would be remove the distributor.
Stock ones have a bunch more stuff in the way so yea might be a pita.

Dr_Snooz
07-12-2018, 07:19 PM
If you're going to drop the trans, you should change the input shaft seal too.