PDA

View Full Version : Negative Reasons to swapin' wheels?

CoAsTeR
05-26-2002, 04:04 PM
I had the stock 13" wheels and I slapped a set up 15" SiR wheels with 185/65's. Is that a smart thing to do, is it a safety issue? the guys at the tire shop wouldn't swap tires for me cuz it 'wasn't listed in the book'...???? Is there a negative this to putting these wheels on my car? uneven wear, damage to the suspension?

MoonScryer
05-26-2002, 05:14 PM
As long as the final size is at or near your originals, no. He was jacking you man, or dosen't know his stuff. By your sizing, I think you have it right. Jim?

Jims 86LXI HB
05-26-2002, 08:48 PM
Oh no they were scared of the big scary taller tire ewwwww:crying: I'm not surprised they won't touch it, doesn't mean I think it's based on sound reasoning!:rant: Now why would he need to look in his book when all you were doing was swapping the tires that you drove in on? :confused:

The 185/65-15 tire size is a bit taller that the oem tires.
Oem 23.2" tall
185/65 24.5" tall speedo error will be +5.5%
195/55 23.4" tall speedo error will be +1.1%
so the 195/55 size is as close to oem as you can get with the 15" tire size, no other size is closer.(opps forgot 205/50-15 is perfect to:rolleyes:)

I guess the shop doesn't want to be sued in case say the tire binds someplace inside the wheel well and they get sued cause you got in a accident and they were a party to doing somethng with the tires. But good grief man he drove into their shop with them on, people are just to worried these days.:rolleyes:

jigga225
05-28-2002, 07:43 AM
Man swich shops and they'll switch your tires.
Ride looks good in the picture tho

smufguy
06-04-2002, 03:14 PM
this issue was a major concern with our SAE team when we were building a formula 1 car for the Michigan international meet this summer. Running bigger tires like 15 or 16 on a car that came with either 13 or 14 is not bad but has its downfall too. The problem is, bigger the tire, slower the engine has to turn to get the car going at the same speed as it does on the stock tires. and this also means that u will be losing low end torque cause the engine does not spin fast enough to reach the max torque limit. other bad thing with putting a bigger tire also affects your whole car's unsprung weight.

the issue of lowering the car was a concern for a guy from SAE when he was doing performance mods on his turbo all-trac supra and his 4g accord. lowering your accord more than 1 inch (or even 1.5) would change the positions of your CG (center of gravity) and your RC (roll center). the difference would either lead to better handling or bad handling resulting in either understeer or oversteer.

If the RC and the CG are real close by (like the ones on the newer accords) result in low factor of rollover, which is what most car makers wana achiece but cant do as good as our Honda guys do :) . enough said.

you want performance and u want looks. what do we choose, without losing safety. OF course a lot of ppl who drop their cars like 3 or 4 inches say they car handles fine, but let them take a curve (posted 35 mph ) at 45 mph and u on your stock car without any drop do the same speed. He would be spun out but u wont. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bass
06-04-2002, 05:47 PM
Any place that won't put 15's on a daily driver Accord is lame and probably run by a bunch of pansy women. Go to a performance shop next time.