PDA

View Full Version : Thrust Washers? confused

Donnyten
07-10-2018, 08:38 AM
So this whole time i've been looking at these half moon shaped things that came with my rebuild kit. after browsing the service manual apparently these are 'thrust washers'. by the looks of it they are installed on top of the crank shaft if you were looking up or working from underneath the car with engine in chassis. Am I right? which means that if i wanted to replace them, the engine would more than likely need to be removed.

Also what are these aluminum circle things? if they belong to the exhaust front pipe that connects to the exhaust manifold they dont seem to fit all the way in

Fixedit
07-16-2018, 09:44 PM
Yup those thrust washers have a home in between the block and the crankshaft basically. They control crankshaft end-play (forwards and backwards movement). Yes, the engine would need to be out of the car UNLESS the transmission and flywheel are already out of the car. But it'd be insanely difficult replacing those underneath the car so just pull the engine out.

Those exhaust gaskets look like the ones at the manifold-to-downpipe connection. However, I've had difficulty making them fit in the past. I can't seem to find anything that fits right. I kind of just bash them in until they stay in place, then let the tightening of the mounting nuts do the rest of the crushing.

Donnyten
07-17-2018, 02:43 PM
interesting actually, whatchoo use a hammer to do the bashing? i've kind of thought of doing the same actually but i dont want to damage the new exhaust front pipe that i have. i'm replacing the entire rusted exhaust on this vehicle