PDA

View Full Version : PCV Valve grief

montreal
02-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Took forever to find my PCV valve, in fact I had to go to the Honda dealer to get a mechanic to point it out to me. So, I took off the air cleaner, becuase it appears my PCV valve is on the intake manifold. So, I take off the u-shaped hose and attempt to remove what I think is the PCV valve but it broke!:crying:

So now it looks like I'm really screwed, because it broke off flush with the intake manifold, there's no way to grip it, the thing's so old and brittle. Half of it is still in there and there's no way to get it out!!!! What am I to do? I can't drive the car like this, now I'm worse off than before, HELP!!!!!!!!

Mantis88LX
02-20-2003, 03:45 PM
cant you get some needle nose plyers and grab it?

montreal
02-20-2003, 03:52 PM
I tried that but it's near impossible to get at since it's set in so far. Even if I do, the plastic is so brittle I end up breaking off a piece of plastic when I try pulling on it with needlenose pliers. I just can't pull it out.

The worst thing is now I can't use the old one or install the new one.

A20A1
02-20-2003, 04:01 PM
does it still have a lip? I normally pry it with a flat head screw driver.... make sure you are removing the right part... cause there is plastic underneath that holds the PCV valve in place... the manifold doesn't hold the valve, it holds the tube that the valve goes into.

montreal
02-20-2003, 04:07 PM
I didn't see a lip. If there was one I think it broke off. Do you know how I can get to that plastic underneath that holds the PCV valve in place? (I hope I didn't break it!) If I could get to that I could probably get the remains of the old PCV valve out.

DBMaster
02-20-2003, 04:13 PM
If you can, try prying out the rubber grommet with a small screwdriver. It may crack, too as it gets brittle. You would then need to replace the grommet along with the PCV valve, but it ought to be a lot easier than trying to get the remains of the PCV out of there. The PCV is barbed at the end sticking into that grommet so you are never going to get it out in one piece.

montreal
02-20-2003, 04:23 PM
I don't see a rubber grommet. It seems that there was only hard (and brittle) plastic that has now broken off flush with the intake manifold. Where should the rubber grommet be, atop the intake manifold?

Also, under normal circumstances, how do you take out the PCV valve?

A20A1
02-20-2003, 04:39 PM
What grommet? it's just one long tube that runs from the intake manifold to the metal case below. I dunno maybe the EFI's are different.

meohmy01
02-20-2003, 07:07 PM
is there a pcv valve on a carb accord?

SMITHACCORD*&
02-20-2003, 07:30 PM
Ok i ran into this problem also. Honda was not smart when making these little parts for our cars. The honda original part is a rubber hose going from the fuel recirculator to the pcv valve etc... Ok you broke the pcv valve off in there and it is hard as a rock. there is no way you are going to get it out without going uder the car and taking that whole hose off and then replacing the pcv valve and you should just get the new hose it is only $20 from honda themselfs. It will take awhile to do it but because it is so old. just brake that sombiatch. and then take it off. then install the new hose it will be easy becuase it is rubber and very flexable. as for the rubber grommet it is attached and you cannot pry that thing apart with the life of you..

montreal
02-20-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by meohmy01
is there a pcv valve on a carb accord?

Yep, apparently so. I've got a carburated Accord and it's got a PCV valve.

dosh8er
02-20-2003, 07:32 PM
meohmy01: yes there are pcv valves on all new cars (I think from mid 60's, but i could be wrong, the ol' timers would probably know this).

On EFI's there is a rubber grommet that goes around the hole in the manifold where the pcv valve goes. If you don't see anything outside the manifold, black and rubber-like, it's probably gone. I assume this is his problem since he said it was flush.
I thought about it, shine a light down in there, see if the valve is hollow all the way through. Typically there is a little metal ball inside the valve, so if you didn't have that in there, say a magnet got it outta there, you could stick a thin screwdriver in there, apply some horizontal force to it, and pull out. I doubt the entire thing would break apart, so keep pulling on that bitch. maybe find some inverted needle nose pliers, with the hooks on the outside, and throw those down in there and pull, applying force out from the pliers against the pcv valve and wall of hole.

DBMaster
02-20-2003, 07:44 PM
I guess the carbed arrangement is different from the EFI. Mine has a grommet. I learned from my old car that it is a good idea to at least take these things out and clean them every 30K miles or so. If you don't...well you know what happens.

montreal
02-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by SMITHACCORD*&
Ok you broke the pcv valve off in there and it is hard as a rock. there is no way you are going to get it out without going uder the car and taking that whole hose off and then replacing the pcv valve and you should just get the new hose it is only $20 from honda themselfs. It will take awhile to do it but because it is so old. just brake that sombiatch. and then take it off. then install the new hose it will be easy becuase it is rubber and very flexable. as for the rubber grommet it is attached and you cannot pry that thing apart with the life of you..

Is this the hose on the bottom or top of the intake manifold? To me it appears that the PCV valve is currently lodged in the lower hose, and I don't see any easy way to get to it. Is this the one you were referring to?

BTW, I'm sure it would be easier to change the PCV valve if it weren't so old brittle. Normally I would do this, but I just recently bought the car and it was rather neglected by the previous owner.

SMITHACCORD*&
02-20-2003, 08:14 PM
the hose is under the manifold. its a bitch to get off.

montreal
02-20-2003, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I can see that. Any suggestions? Looks like I have to take off a bunch of stuff to get to it.... :crying:

SMITHACCORD*&
02-20-2003, 08:18 PM
no no no
here is whatcha do. go under the car
take the oil filter off(good time for an oil change)
there is that nasty hose coming from a little box under there it is black. you will be able to tell what it is. break it off and get another one or try to remove it without breaking it and replace the pcv valve. there is a clamp on there so be sure to remove it

montreal
02-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Thanks, that should be a bit easier. I just have to wait for a day with decent weather (I have to work outside) and a day when I have lots of time, just in case it takes a bit longer. :)

As it happens, I do need an oil change too!

meohmy01
02-21-2003, 08:52 AM
ok. can someone tell me where the pcv valve is. im use to a newer efi accord where its right on top right out of the valve cover.

anchovies
02-21-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by meohmy01
ok. can someone tell me where the pcv valve is. im use to a newer efi accord where its right on top right out of the valve cover.

It's in the FAQ
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69

SMITHACCORD*&
02-21-2003, 02:54 PM
For a carbed accord the pcv valve is in the center of the intake manifold you can see it . it has a u shaped hose connected to it.

montreal
02-22-2003, 11:32 AM
Yes, and speaking from personal experience be VERY careful when you try to remove the old one! In retrospect I sould have either left mine in or taken it to the Honda dealer. At least if they broke it, it would have been their problem, not mine! Arrrrrrg!

SMITHACCORD*&
02-22-2003, 11:53 AM
Did you break it man. I did it to mine too its ok. because the new one is nice and flexible very easy to install.