PDA

View Full Version : Shake, rattle 'n stall ARRRRRGH!!!!!

montreal
02-20-2003, 03:49 PM
My car is really starting to piss me off!!!! It's an 88 Accord Limited (carbureted & automatic, of course). The car took forever to warm up and even when it did it would idle very rough, surging from about 600 RPM to 1200 RPM, often stalling out whether in Park or Drive.

I used a spray can of carb cleaner to clean the carb, used super high octane gas with fuel system cleaner, added a bottle of fuel system cleaner for carbed cars, changed the cap, rotor, plugs (correctly gapped), wires, both fuel filters, air filter and air breather. Absolutely NO improvement!!!!!!!

The only thing I didn't replace was the PCV valve. I attempted that today and it broke, flush with the intake manifold. So now I can't put the old one back in or install the new one. (See my other thread for more details).

If I ever get the PCV valve problem remedied and the car still runs like crap, what else could it be? It runs great at higher RPMS, like over 1300 or so, it's great once you're driving but it will stall at low RPMS or shake horribly. Any ideas?

A20A1
02-20-2003, 04:20 PM
Ummm super high octane is the wrong thing to do.

Higher octane is much harder to ignite.

You have a vacuum leak... it could have been from the PCV valve area.

montreal
02-20-2003, 04:28 PM
Ah, I see. Now the trick is to find the vacuum leak! That could be a challenge...

Could a bad PCV valve alone also be responsibe for something like this?

Also, I noticed that the car runs the same on high or low octane gas. I think if I can't solve this problem soon I'm going to go push my car off a cliff!