PDA

View Full Version : Need help on odometer and idle shaking

YeBoiSky
07-14-2018, 02:24 PM
I have this stock 1989 honda accord that i got back in 2011 and its always had problems with starting and sometimes would just die, though now it runs alot better it still shakes a ton when just idleing. I dont know if it is the fast idle control valve or if it has anything else to do with it. Aswell recently the odometer would start making a humming noise while im driving and if i were to be going 30 or 20 it would indicate i was going 60 or 80. If anyone can help me eith these problems i will greatly appreaciate it

gcovarrubias412
07-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Sounds like your speedo cable broke. You can buy one and replace it pretty easily.

As for the vibrations, how did you fix it/make it better? How low does it idle? Does it still die? What season of the year was it dying/idling badly?

Edit: Your odometer is the thing that reads out the amount of total miles on the engine. The speedometer reads out your speed. And the tachometer reads out your rpms.

Dr_Snooz
07-14-2018, 06:38 PM
For rough idle, start with one and proceed to the others.

Vacuum leaks - grab some carb cleaner and find them. If you don't know how, watch some vids on YouTube.
Injector cleaner - put a bottle in your next full tank of gas and see what happens.
Idle speed - if it's too low, you'll have a lot more vibration than necessary. Honda wants the idle speed to be 750, but I prefer 900-1000.
Tune up - if you haven't replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor in a while, now's the time.
Motor mounts - if your motor mounts are tired, you'll feel a lot more vibration in the cabin.

These motors produce a lot of vibration as a rule, so don't expect BMW V12 glassy smoothness. Even so, you should be able to idle at lights without spilling your soda.

For the speedo, you can try lubing the cable. Remove the end from the trans case, pull the cable out, grease it up good with some white lithium grease and re-install. If that doesn't do it, then replace the cable entirely. Rock Auto has them for under $10.

YeBoiSky
07-16-2018, 11:07 AM
It started dying like around the fall and is starting to die again or just wont start and i meant speedometer haha sorry im still kinda new to the car community