PDA

View Full Version : Burning oil?

MrBen
02-20-2003, 08:00 PM
I have an 86 carbed DX with about 225,000 miles on it. I had the oil pan replaced so there are no oil leaks except for a minor one that the shop says is fine. But it's supposed to go in every 3000 miles but about every 2000 it runs low and I have to refill it. I also noticed when someone else was driving my car that there was a bluish color coming out of the exhaust. I know that oil could be getting by the pistons. My question is what can I do to slow this process? I don't want to rebuild the engine. I've put so much work into this thing it is unbelievable.

johnwc723
02-20-2003, 10:37 PM
you could get some of that "no smoke" stuff at an auto store, there are plent of oil treatments that are supposed to help the seal of your piston rings (your problem) look at a auto store, hell even wal-mart has got some, i put some in my engine just as preventative maintence (i only got 138k)

AccordEpicenter
02-21-2003, 06:07 PM
I bet its your piston rings, but if you dont wanna rebuild the engine and want it to go away for a long time, just get any good 86-89 accord short block (engine sans cyl head) and install that, and you can prolly find these engines for cheap.

shepherd79
02-21-2003, 07:15 PM
blue smoke = your valve seals.
balck smoke = running too rich
grey smoke = say hello to dead engine.

hondaisthebest
02-21-2003, 08:04 PM
1L every 2000miles its not bad!
My civic is burning about 1L every 500miles.
Dont put money in it you can drive like that for
another 100 000miles easly if you never miss oil.
Now the smoke is blue when the smoke will be black/gray like
mine the engine will be finish.
Also try higher mileage oil

mindlos
02-22-2003, 04:50 PM
Why does grey oil mean bye bye engine? Is it because you may be burning coolant from a minor head crack or gasket problem?

MrBen
02-22-2003, 04:52 PM
Higher mileage oil? What do you mean by this. I have 10W30 in there now.

mindlos
02-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Some manufacturers/brands market some of their oil fourmulations as intended for high mileage engines. Never dabbled into it so I dont know whether its a marketing ploy or they add other stuff.

MrBen
02-22-2003, 05:55 PM
Hmm, I guess I'll check into it.

shepherd79
02-22-2003, 06:04 PM
grey smoke means your piston rings are bad. you will have to rebuild engine for sure.
blue smoke is not that bad. just replace valve seals and you should be fine.if you still have the smoking problem after you replace the valve seals, your valve guides are bad. it will require removing cylinder head and taking it to a machine shop. how can you tell if your valve guides are bad? start your car in the morning, if the smoke stops after the engine warms up than it is your valve guides. anyother problem with blue smoke is related to valve seals. i have done it 2 times, and it is not that hard.

87accordlxph
02-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by mindlos
Why does grey oil mean bye bye engine? Is it because you may be burning coolant from a minor head crack or gasket problem?

Actually, white smoke means a crack in the block or cylinder head where the oil mixes w/ the antifreeze or the head gasket is blown.

The engine is pretty much dead!

-Mike

87accordlxph
02-22-2003, 06:11 PM
OK

shepherd79 pretty much summed it up for blue and grey smoke coming out the exhaust.

-Mike

Want2Bfast
02-22-2003, 06:59 PM
I know on my 86 that has 190 thousand miles thats there is a buch of blowby from the pistons that sends oil into my airbox through the valve cover, therefor resuling in oil in the carb after saturating the filter. now as we all know, the oil is going into the combustion chaber and creates the blue smoke, but you know i am most likley wrong so just a tip.
-matt

buzzbomber88lx
02-22-2003, 07:27 PM
You guys know a lot about smoking. Help me out on this one.....smoke out of the pipe on top of the valve cover that runs to the air cleaner. Lol! No smoke out of the exhaust though. I think it's f#@%ed.

buzzbomber88lx
02-22-2003, 07:29 PM
Sounds like want2befast has the same problem as me. I'm parting out my accord so if you need anything look under marktplace. It's an 88lx 5spd

Want2Bfast
02-22-2003, 08:09 PM
Hay buzz, how long after this did the car die? (if it died that is) justr wondering b/c i dont really want to deal with a dead car, sell it while it runs and get another. that plan works better on the wallet

AccordEpicenter
02-22-2003, 08:47 PM
i wouldnt worry about it just keep the oil full. Oil is cheap.

87accordlxph
02-23-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by buzzbomber88lx
You guys know a lot about smoking. Help me out on this one.....smoke out of the pipe on top of the valve cover that runs to the air cleaner. Lol! No smoke out of the exhaust though. I think it's f#@%ed.

Hmmm, that's a tuffy!

First off, check the oil level in your crankcase (in otherwords check your oil?) is it over the full mark? If so you have excessive crankcase pressure which is very bad...blows gaskets!

Did you change the PCV valve? Is oil leaking from the "U" shaped hose onto your intake manifold? Check that PCV valve by pulling it out and shake it back and forth or get a hold of it with plyiers and gently squeeze the "U" shaped hose, the PCV valve should click click click.
Valve cover gasket may need to be replaced if it's leaking. If the valve cover gasket needs to be replaced I'd say get a valve adjustment done.
Oh yeah simple check your air filter too.
Another check on the PCV breather filter that is in your pcv breather pipe. Check for blockage/filter.

Ok I'm thinking I got the answer.. I think.

Check the tightness of the valve cover crown nuts. They maybe loose. Don't tighten them too much about an 1/8th of a turn maybe abit more, max. Try that.

Hope this helps and if not refer to shepherd79 post.

-Mike