PDA

View Full Version : Dcoe jetting help!

InAccordance
07-26-2018, 05:24 PM
Need a second opinion on what I'm missing here.
Got new jets, put them in, much better response, spitting back is completely gone.
Won't idle to save it's life.
I've followed the book step by step to set lean best idle but it will not stabilize no matter what I do.
I'm at 1 1/2 turns out on the mixture screws. Turning out further makes it worse.
I'm not on the progression hole, made sure of that.
Stop screw is at 1/2 turn.
Jets are:
Main 145
Idle 45f9
Air corrector 190
Emulsion tube f16
Venturi 34mm

Any tips would be appreciated.

Dr_Snooz
07-26-2018, 06:28 PM
I can't speak to your carbs specifically, but on most other carbs, jets are unrelated to idle. The idle is an entirely different circuit with only two adjustments: mixture and speed. The speed can be adjusted by ear, and the mixture can be adjusted by smell (ie: if it smells rich, you're too rich). I might be missing something important though.

InAccordance
07-28-2018, 08:55 PM
Looks like we got it, spent 4 hours out in the heat tinkering with these things.
Looks like it boiled down to them being out of sync. The right end of the linkage was flexing enough to cause that side carb to open slightly ahead of the other and was being jostled around from engine vibration which was causing the butterflies of said carb to open and close rapidly. At least that's what it seems like and is the best theory I can come up with.
Redid the linkage to where I am only using one arm now and have both carbs tied to it. Sync'd up just fine and idles smooth at a crispy 900 rpm. No spitting, no shaking or heavy vibrations.
Fiddled with the timing a bit as well. Advanced it slightly which helped too.

Did have to take one carb off and got around to finally putting that coolant bypass in so that was a bonus.

Now, I do need to work on the progression circuit as they still hate it when you feather the throttle. Mild to stomping the throttle does fantastic, no flat spots at all. Just doesn't like to be feathered. If you do, feels like it's missfiring. I know that's not what it is but has a similar feel.

InAccordance
07-31-2018, 10:10 PM
So this is what I'm running with now and it's strong

Main: 145
Idle: 55f8
Air corrector: 190
Emulsion tube: f16
Venturi/choke: 34mm
Aux Venturi: 4.5
Pump Jet: 45
Pump Exhaust: 40
Needle Valve: 2.00

About 2 3/4 turns out on the mixture screws. Seems a bit high but they like it this way.

Pretty good power along the entire band from what my butt tells me even in the lower rpm range (aka below 3k). Doesn't drop off in the higher rpms. Taken it to 7k so far and was still going strong. Just slightly rich in the main circuit but I want to keep it that way.

Fixedit
08-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Awesome, glad to hear it. Definitely going to save this info in case I ever get to play with a set of those on these cars. Thank you!

InAccordance
08-01-2018, 06:27 PM
Just keep in mind I haven't done any internal modifications yet. Still on stock cam and everything.

Dr_Snooz
08-01-2018, 08:07 PM
Glad you got it working. Congrats!

InAccordance
08-02-2018, 09:59 PM
Looks like it's going to be one of those thing that has to be adjusted regularly. It's already creeping on me, idle is slowly going up from engine vibration messing with the screws.

Dr_Snooz
08-04-2018, 08:20 PM
That happens with the idle speed adjustment screw on the FI throttle bodies also. A big glob of RTV sealant in the screw hole fixes that right up.

InAccordance
08-05-2018, 05:42 PM
Will have to do, creeped up to 1100. Might actually leave it there though cause at that, when in gear, it drops to 750ish which is actually good. Plus lose about 100 when the lights are on.

Dr_Snooz
08-05-2018, 07:59 PM
Yeah, getting a good idle speed on these takes some tinkering.