PDA

View Full Version : I know nothing about ignition timing

Donnyten
07-30-2018, 07:41 AM
So I got a new distributor, everything is set to tdc. Do I need to set ignition timing? I'm not even sure under what circumstances you are supposed to set your timing. How do I do it? do i need a timing light? I'm only used to distributorless ignition

AC439
07-30-2018, 08:46 AM
Me too knows nothing about ignition timing. Do you have the FSM downloaded ? You will need a timing light. There has been discussions here about ignition timing. Your under the hood label will tell you the timing in degrees. General consent here is the under the hood timing (usually is 15+-2 degrees) is WITH the vacuum advance connected.

The FSM has detail instruction but one part is confusing and has been discussed here a lot.

The car should be warmed up, idle RPM around 750, vacuum hoses connected. Then the timing mark should be aligned with the pointer and it should be the same spec as on the under hood label. Then you can disconnect vacuum hoses and plug them, the timing mark should be at 4 BTDC or close.

Which distributor did you get ?

Donnyten
07-30-2018, 10:46 AM
I got this one from ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Distributor-for-1988-1989-Honda-Accord-2-0L-4Cyl-Engine-Includes-Cap-and-Rotor/371680400731?fits=Year%3A1988%7CMake%3AHonda%7CMod el%3AAccord&epid=1077053615&hash=item5689e0d55b%3Ag%3A8C4AAOSwbbRbQgli&_sacat=0&_nkw=1988+honda+accord+distributor&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1312.R2.TR8.TRC0.A0.H0.X198 8+honda.TRS2

I guess i'll look in the manual, i've even seen a few videos on it, still confused. smh. Guess i'll binge watch more videos later.

So, am I aiming the timing light at the flywheel? and with the timing light connected to spark plug 1, it should flash close to 15 degrees each time before the engine reaches top dead center? ( white mark)? What exactly am I adjusting on the distributor itself to retard or advance timing?

AC439
07-30-2018, 11:38 AM
I just bought the exact same one from flea bay. I am not sure if they calibrate the springs or the vacuum advance to OEM standard (probably not). I get more advance compare to stock OEM unit.

Yes, you aim the light at the flywheel. The clamp (sensor) from the timing light clamps to the #1 spark plug wire. The clamp will say which side to face the spark plug. Then when the timing light flashes, the timing mark on the flywheel will appears static while the engine is rotating. You will then adjust by rotating the distributor to align the center of the timing marks (the longest one, assuming you have AT) to the pointer. Then you tightened all the 3 bolts on the distributor after you get the timing right. My TIP: when adjusting timing, only put the top two bolts but leave the bottom bolt out of the distributor. The bottom one is a pain to install and remove so after you have gotten your timing right and tightened the top two bolts, then install the bottom bolt and tighten.

My car is 32 years old and I cannot tell what color is on the flywheel. But you will see the markings on the flywheel (AT and MT are a little different). Google the images of the flywheel and you can get familiar with it (ok, I googled the image for you). Better is to manual crank the crank shaft slowly and shine a light into the flywheel through the little window so you will see how the markings look like when static.

Mine is AT and it looks like the one on the left side of the pic.

Donnyten
07-30-2018, 11:45 AM
so should it be flashing on the white mark or the red mark? does the red mark indicate 15 degrees before tdc or......

AC439
07-30-2018, 11:47 AM
it should be flashing on the red mark with vacuum connected according to the picture since it is 15BTDC. White mark is TDC which is at 0 degrees. With vacuum hoses disconnected and plugged, it should be 4 BTDC.

Donnyten
07-30-2018, 11:53 AM
ok, so my other question and i will look at the manual when I get home, but what exactly am i adjusting on the distributor itself to retard or advance?

AC439
07-30-2018, 12:03 PM
The distributor is attached to the engine body with 3 bolts. When the 3 bolts are loose, the distributor body can be rotated. Rotate clockwise will retard timing and counterclockwise will advance timing. When you have the timing light connected and working, you will rotate the distributor body to align the pointer with the timing mark on the flywheel. I suggest to mark your original distributor with reference to its base so if you mess up, you can still put back the old dist and timing will be right.

I found the flea bay dizzy over advance and I am still having hard times aligning it. But my original dizzy can be aligned. I am rebuilding the old one and may ended up putting it back in lieu of the fleabay dizzy.

Donnyten
07-30-2018, 12:19 PM
well, i completely rebuilt my engine , and my old distributor was messed up, did not think to mark anything at the time anyway.. hopefully i wont have an issue with thus.

thanks

AC439
07-30-2018, 12:22 PM
well bummer. But here's another pic that gives you an idea about retard/advance timing by rotating the distributor. Its same concept but not the exact distributor on ours.

Donnyten
07-30-2018, 12:28 PM
ok, cool. thanks

Oldblueaccord
07-31-2018, 09:33 AM
ok, cool. thanks

On a pretty fresh rebuilt I would set it more advanced for the time being. You are just looking to get the engine fired up ,idling ,and checking for leaks. With more advance the engine will idle higher more retard it will idle low or to low and want to stall.

Once your satisfied its up and running I would worry about the timing.

Just remember advancing the timing higher idle,lower idle retarding the timing by turning the distributor. This is whats called "timing by ear".