PDA

View Full Version : Manual Steering Rack 87 Accord

swifty549
08-01-2018, 12:09 PM
The repair manual shows a manual steering rack, curious if anyone knows the part number and availability. My power steering rack is leaking and I'm contemplating a Weber conversion so I'd like to go totally minimal and eliminate the PS pump. I have a recollection that the Canadian DX had a manual steering rack.

InAccordance
08-01-2018, 06:28 PM
Yea I think that's a Canada only thing.

Dr_Snooz
08-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Those are the Sasquatch of the 3geez world. There are many legends, few sightings, no proof.

InAccordance
08-01-2018, 10:57 PM
If you're going with a 32/36 or a 38 weber, I have adapter plates that I no longer need, you'd just have to get new gaskets for them which are easy to make on your own (which is what I had to do cause I reused said plates on two different Accords).
Do have the 32/36 DGVE I used and is jetted just right for these vehicles I dont need anymore as well but it would need a full rebuild and the throttle shafts leak so those would have to be fixed.
PM me if interested or with any questions.

swifty549
08-02-2018, 09:03 AM
OK, thanks. PM Sent. I'm still researching the project. I'll probably get a new "Kit" to increase the chances of success. It seems like a pretty clear cut conversion, my biggest concern is removing the old studs.

swifty549
08-02-2018, 09:07 AM
Those are the Sasquatch of the 3geez world. There are many legends, few sightings, no proof.

:-)

I'm looking at a Dodge Omni rack, looks close and cheap, might need some machine work. I bought my LX new and didn't want PS then.

InAccordance
08-02-2018, 09:50 PM
I'm personally a huge fan of the power steering on these cars. It's so effortless and smooth. I can literally spin the steering wheel with my pinky finger at a standstill.
My wife has an '06 Ford escape and the PS in that thing is shit compared to my car. Even the '00 Accord's PS isn't as good. Old Hondas had it right.

Of course, I went through hell to get it repaired and working right :banghead:

swifty549
08-03-2018, 09:21 AM
I'm personally a huge fan of the power steering on these cars. It's so effortless and smooth. I can literally spin the steering wheel with my pinky finger at a standstill.
My wife has an '06 Ford escape and the PS in that thing is shit compared to my car. Even the '00 Accord's PS isn't as good. Old Hondas had it right.

Of course, I went through hell to get it repaired and working right :banghead:

That's a good consideration. Replacing with OEM is the easiest and lowest cost way to go. I've driven this car for 31 years and it's been GREAT and that the rack lasted this long is amazing! Sometimes I get a little OCD about minimization :-)

gcovarrubias412
08-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Haha, my 84 accord hatch came with manual steering. I guess i was lucky!

InAccordance
08-06-2018, 07:28 PM
Manual steering when the car is made for it is perfectly fine. I've had 3 1st gen CRXs and those came with manual steering and was great.