PDA

View Full Version : Engine coolant sensor (or ECT)

Ahamayym
09-16-2018, 03:58 PM
I have a 1987 Accord LX sedan with AT.... I think I found my ECT close to the oil filter. First, let me know if I am correct or completely out in left field. Now the reason I ask is my rad fans do not turn on. I think my thermostat may be a lower temperature, but my fans still do not turn on. I have run the car in the heat and also turned on the A/C with no change.

I want to try and short out the connector to the sensor and see if my fans energize but, I cannot reach the connector. Also, is there another way to short it out with out taking the connector off the sensor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated except "Just remove the A/C all together." I live in Florida and it gets pretty hot here. LOL

gcovarrubias412
09-16-2018, 04:08 PM
I have a 1987 Accord LX sedan with AT.... I think I found my ECT close to the oil filter. First, let me know if I am correct or completely out in left field. Now the reason I ask is my rad fans do not turn on. I think my thermostat may be a lower temperature, but my fans still do not turn on. I have run the car in the heat and also turned on the A/C with no change.

I want to try and short out the connector to the sensor and see if my fans energize but, I cannot reach the connector. Also, is there another way to short it out with out taking the connector off the sensor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated except "Just remove the A/C all together." I live in Florida and it gets pretty hot here. LOL

On my 84 Accord, the fan switch is right by the radiator. Check that out first. I just put a manual switch to it so i turn it on whenever the temp goes up to about half or if im running hard.

Edit: Also, you probably found your oil pressure sensor, since its next to your oil filter.

Ahamayym
09-16-2018, 06:01 PM
On my 84 Accord, the fan switch is right by the radiator. Check that out first. I just put a manual switch to it so i turn it on whenever the temp goes up to about half or if im running hard.

Edit: Also, you probably found your oil pressure sensor, since its next to your oil filter.

Cool... I plan to check that out this week. Thankfully this isn't my DD.

Ahamayym
09-19-2018, 04:48 AM
So, I shorted the leads for the A/C compressor clutch relay (obviously not the leads for the coil) and both fans kicked on as well as the compressor. Now to find out why the air isn't very cold. LOL. Will be picking up a new relay on my way home this evening.