PDA

View Full Version : Few random questions..

InAccordance
09-21-2018, 07:23 PM
Engine out, auto trans is off. Had to dismantle part of the trans to get it out lol. Got some nice souvenirs and paperweights now.
Rebuilding the mounts, aka making them poly.
A few questions I have are...

The lower mount, can I use the same one from the auto trans or is that one different for the manual? I have the rear mount bracket already but that one underneath is in question.

Anyone have a good trick for getting the crank pulley off? I've broken a ratchet and a breaker bar already trying to get this thing off. The hex tool wont work cause it doesn't have that pattern like the newer ones.

Do the manual transmissions have a specific lube to use in them like the auto ones do? If not, any good recommendations?

Dr_Snooz
09-21-2018, 07:44 PM
Pretty sure it's just the bracket on the back of the trans that's different. The rubber mount is the same.

To get the pulley off, I drop a thick 1/2" impact socket extension down the timing hole. It was thick enough at one end not to fall completely into the hole and tough enough to stop the crank from turning. The ear on the drive plate should hit the extension and stop the crankshaft rotating. When you get the swap done, I believe a combination of 5th gear, parking brake and both wheels on the ground will do it.

I think most people agree that Honda MTF is the best fluid in these transmissions.

InAccordance
09-21-2018, 09:01 PM
I was really wanting to get the pulley off with the engine out so I can get it setup for the ring gear. I've got it wedged in place so it wont rotate when cranking on it but the damn bolt is on there so tight...

So there is a proprietary fluid.. got it.

oh, one more question I forgot... any recommendations on a cleaner that will cut through years of grime? The subframe is filthy from the power steering leaking and just plain years of road grime.
I'm going to rent a pressure washer but need a good grease cutter...

Dr_Snooz
09-22-2018, 03:55 PM
Oh ok. You can probably put a bolt in the crank and a bolt in the bellhousing, put a length of chain across them and that should get you there. I'd use some scrap bolts and not the ones I need to put back in an unbent condition. Or you could declare early Christmas and go buy an impact gun....

For the grime, probably some Gunk engine cleaner and a parts brush from O'Reilly would be best. I haven't done it myself though.

InAccordance
09-22-2018, 06:24 PM
Yea, she's pretty nasty.. I even look at it I get dirty.