PDA

View Full Version : Help?! 1987 Honda Accord LX shaking problems

YoungSlothh
10-05-2018, 10:19 AM
So for over a year now, when I start my car, I get this OVERWHELMING shaking in the dash board and steering wheel. It is at its worst while in drive, or reverse, basically any moving gears lmao. It’s an automatic. It started once I took it to a place up here in Lacey, they replaced my engine mounts and I drove it off the lot, once I came to a stop, it shook like a pissed off chiuaua. I have done almost everything to this car. Full tune up, changed valve cover, brakes, rotors, engine mounts, and I can’t for the life of me figure out this shaking! The possibilities are a second cylinder misfire? I heard that from a guy at a local shop here. Timing belt? Heard that from the auto store. Torque converter? Heard that from a gear head friend. Engine mounts? Hear that all the time. Someone help me please! I love this little car. If I can’t find the problem, I’m thinking of swapping the whole damn engine with a B21A

InAccordance
10-05-2018, 12:08 PM
Idle drop below 750 in gear?
Did the shop do anything else or just the mounts?
Should have turned right around and took it back to them.

YoungSlothh
10-05-2018, 10:10 PM
Took it back right after and they said they installed “shot” mounts. So I’ve just been dealing with this shaking for a year because they obviously fucked my car over. It idles and fluctuates between 0500 and 0750. I just had a dude at a shop here put a diagnostic on it, he believes it to be a second cylinder misfire.

Dr_Snooz
10-06-2018, 08:50 PM
Your idle speed is waaayy too low, for one. It's also possible that they put in some mounts that had been sitting around since '86 and were rock hard. Turning up the idle speed will take care of the worst of it, though.

InAccordance
10-06-2018, 09:35 PM
ha, I Polyurethane'd mine, guess this is what I get to look forward to :rofl:

Dr_Snooz
10-07-2018, 10:12 AM
Definitely let us know how it goes.

YoungSlothh
10-09-2018, 10:21 AM
Hello! Thanks for all your help. It’s been in the shop and I’ve been having a guy take a look at at and work on it. He called us last night and he said she is ready to be picked up today! He said she is running a lot better. He said it was a misfire! I’m not sure on how to change my idle speed, I’ve only just started to get into working on cars, it used to be anything that went wrong I would take it to a shop. Now I do small things on my own. How would I change the idle speed on my 87 Honda Accord Lx?

Donnyten
10-10-2018, 04:20 AM
Hello! Thanks for all your help. It’s been in the shop and I’ve been having a guy take a look at at and work on it. He called us last night and he said she is ready to be picked up today! He said she is running a lot better. He said it was a misfire! I’m not sure on how to change my idle speed, I’ve only just started to get into working on cars, it used to be anything that went wrong I would take it to a shop. Now I do small things on my own. How would I change the idle speed on my 87 Honda Accord Lx?

Please cite the reason/fix for the misfire if possible.

there is an adjustment screw on my throttle body ( LXi) that takes a flat head screw driver, toward the top part of the throttle body. I THINK turning it to the left increases idle and the right lowers it. not sure if the lx is the same maybe someone else can chime in. But I wouldn't adjust the idle YET as the misfire may have intermittently caused a drop in idle giving the illusion of an idle problem.

YoungSlothh
10-10-2018, 02:18 PM
So I picked it up! Oh my god it runs SO much better! When it’s cold, it still shakes, and when the AC is on it still shakes as well. So it may be the IAC valve? But once she is warmed up and goes, the shaking it almost gone. He said the timing was off by two. He also said we have some bad compression, anyone know what may cause that? And what I could do at home to fix it? If I even can by myself?

InAccordance
10-18-2018, 07:05 PM
Definitely let us know how it goes.

Got it running finally and the answer to that questions is.... damn. Engine does... not... move... but I did discover new loose things. I think the wife will like riding in my car now:lol:

Dr_Snooz
10-18-2018, 07:45 PM
Yes, but does it vibrate?

InAccordance
10-18-2018, 08:04 PM
indeed