PDA

View Full Version : Solid green fatigues rustoleum

Donnyten
10-08-2018, 01:42 PM
Looks ok from far away lol.. first time paint job.gonna paint the rims black and repaint trim. Got paint on wheels headlights and license plate.. sall good

AC439
10-08-2018, 03:11 PM
I did my $50 rustoleum job 2 years ago and posted pics on "Interior & Exterior" forum. It actually looking good after buffing and polishing. I got my pics posted over there.

Donnyten
10-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Word.. ima check it out. Shops were tryna charge a good 600 bux for a basic job. Decided to take matters into my own hands.

I used a $20 electric spray paint gun from Harbor freight for the most part. Took a while to get the flow right. 1st coat ran as it was too watery. Got discouraged and used a paint roller with better results then finally got the flow adjusted on the gun which made the job hella easier.

The electric spray gun worked well in my opinion but I can see how an air gun would do a million times better

Dr_Snooz
10-12-2018, 09:04 PM
The $600 job will start to fail after the warranty runs out.

AC439
10-13-2018, 03:38 AM
Yeah, I doubt how good those $600 paint job would be. I had bad experience with maaco so I decided to do rustoleum. At first, I tried the typical way of paint roller but ended up using paint brush. I found its easier to use a brush and have better control than a roller.

Donnyten
10-13-2018, 12:46 PM
A paint brush? interestin... well heres a better image.. prolly gonna paint the trim green too.. dont feel like takin it off to paint it black. i'm sure i can get it better lookin by sandin buffn polishin n shit but honestly it looks way better than it did before with the original paint chipping and rusted in places.. i'm also lazy and just eager to drive it. not too bad for fiddy bux. gonna hit up a junk yard for some emblems since i painted over the old ones

Dr_Snooz
10-13-2018, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I doubt how good those $600 paint job would be. I had bad experience with maaco so I decided to do rustoleum. At first, I tried the typical way of paint roller but ended up using paint brush. I found its easier to use a brush and have better control than a roller.

Don't get me wrong, it still looks miles better than it did before with the clear coat hammered and everything faded and all. Just have appropriate expectations and don't expect a show car. They're trying to turn cars as quick as they can, so prep happens more in theory than practice. The paint is bubbling off the hood and chipping away on the roof. If I'd done all the prep work myself, it probably would last a lot longer. Of course, then I'd have had to tow it in to have it sprayed. It's still okay for now and when it isn't, I'll figure something else out.

AC439
10-14-2018, 02:15 AM
Mine had a maaco paint job and it started to fade after first year. Then starting to peel off the hood and top and the paint surface wasn't any smooth anymore, like those plastic car wrap. After I paint brushed it with restoleum, it is now miles better. Ofc, a good prep makes a big difference. But if I only spent $50 (ok, may be more with buffing equipment and other misc stuffs), I would think worth it. Only thing is very time consuming with rustoleum. Will I do it again ? Sure, if I have time to kill.