PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Advance Broke Off 1987 Accord LX

swifty549
10-11-2018, 01:35 PM
I got a new metal replacement but I can't figure out how the push rod is attached. The Honda manual shows an "E-CLIP" but it's not visible, on the backside?. Does anyone know how to replace the diaphragm?

Donnyten
10-11-2018, 02:28 PM
I got a new metal replacement but I can't figure out how the push rod is attached. The Honda manual shows an "E-CLIP" but it's not visible, on the backside?. Does anyone know how to replace the diaphragm?

whatever side the cap comes off. its secured by a little magnetic clip that you can pop of carefully with a flathead or similar tool. at least thats how mine is. good luck with that metal advance, especially if its aftermarket. i've had timing issues with one that came on an aftermarket distributor, replaced it with a plastic one.

swifty549
10-11-2018, 04:01 PM
This looks just like my distributor. I've never had it apart so I don't know what to expect if I remove the 2 screws. I'm hoping it will rotate and allow the vac advance pushrod to drop out with no "e-clip" on the back side.

I've compared the new diaphragm with the old and it looks like it will work. I used bailing wire to hold the broken diaphragm in place and it works fine but looks like crap. The plastic is very deteriorated.

Dr_Snooz
10-12-2018, 08:26 PM
Looks like a simple retaining washer. Push hard enough on the center of it and it will most likely come apart. Could also send the washer flying into some dark corner where you'll never find it again too.

swifty549
10-14-2018, 09:17 AM
Posting what I found in case it might be helpful to someone. It looks like the pin on the plate captures the vacuum advance pushrod without a keeper. Breaker Plate 30101-PH2-005 or lx984