PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if carpeting from hatch will fit coupe

Nothingbuta3Gthang
02-21-2003, 07:54 PM
My car is in need of new carpeting. I found a site that sells pre-molded carpets for 3g hatchbacks, I'm wondering if it might fit in a coupe? Heres the site:
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/nfm8321.html

Tim Yoak
02-21-2003, 08:01 PM
yea it will i talked to a guy from a carpeting company at the car show in moultrie and he said they are the same. thats who i'm ordering from next month. Auto Carpet Originals www.autocarpetoriginals.com he seemed very knowledgeable about his product. the only difference is on the hatch there is that carpet in the hatch area. but the floor pan is the same. just checked the site the coupe and hatch are listed the same. i'm getting the cut pile which is 140. he has samples as well. also extreme colors, and factory colors.

Nothingbuta3Gthang
02-21-2003, 08:01 PM
Hmm...guess this question doesnt need answering, I just found a site that sells carpets molded to a coupe, at a lower cost...guess I should have searched around more. Heres a link to that if anyone is interested:
www.autoupholsterykits.com

Nothingbuta3Gthang
02-21-2003, 08:03 PM
Neato, thanks for the info Tim

dXsquared
02-21-2003, 08:04 PM
thats the best price on the WEB!

Travis

Tim Yoak
02-23-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
thats the best price on the WEB!

Travis just wondering if you had luck with your carpet http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/p2fdb6c2a94d9ca88937950b257df87af/fc98d9ba.gif http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/pecc73669b83ec7b604687f2815c30e19/fc98d9bc.gif

Nothingbuta3Gthang
02-24-2003, 04:23 PM
I havent actually ordered a new carpet, but the site that had the molded carpet for the hatch was who I was going to order from. And the only carpet they listed for an 88 dx was for a hatch, so I was wondering if it was compatible. I really like vibrant colors on cars, and I'm considering ordering a carpet from the site you listed. I'm thinking limelite green :) I'm also in the process of repainting my dash lime green and white. I was going to settle for black carpeting since it would go best with my two color choices, but now that I've seen those extreme colors I know which site I want to order from! Thanks a bunch for listing that site. If the weather is nice tomorrow, I'm going to take pictures of my dx so everyone can see what kind of state it's in :( It's not too bad, I hope to have most of the work done on it by mid-late spring. Thanks again Tim.

-=Craig=-

Tim Yoak
02-24-2003, 07:03 PM
if you are painting your dash make sure you use a good prep cleaner or you will get spots or bad adhesion. i use mar hyde total prep the item number is 3221. it's really good for cleaning all contanminents off prior to painting. remember there is probably 16 years of road grime and armour all on your dash and hiding in all the cracks. not good for paint adhesion. you will get a perfect job and then bam a bubble. it takes about three hours to properly clean and prep for a really good paint job.

Chubs87Accord
02-24-2003, 09:19 PM
alcohol should work too.. and no not whiskey you booz hound.. when i was getting ready to paint some int parts what i did was...

1. rinsed all dirt off with hot water and toothbrush
2. scrub with 'scrubb sponge' using rubbing alcohol
3. scrubbing once again with a mixture of HOT water, salt, bleach, and lemon juice
4. scrubbed once again with rubbing alcohol
5. rinsed using cold water
6. if you feel like spending the money on it go to home depot and get a good paint prep cleaner.. MAKE SURE ITS SAFE FOR PLASTICS AND VINYL
7. rince with cold water
8. dry

dont pat try with a towel, or paper towel or anything, lint will get on teh pieces to be painted.. use a blow dryer or simply leave out in a fairly warmer place usually all night or until dry

Tim Yoak
02-24-2003, 09:52 PM
the total prep i was talking about is safe on plastic, i use it all the time to prep plastic trim pieces from this car. it is specifically made for use on these type of materials. i'm not sure if home depot carries it or not usually auto part stores. just had good experience with it thats all. very good at removing armour all. (polysilicone products, oil, wax, grease,dirt,road film, etc.) just thought i would pass along. good luck. you might want to use an adhesion promotor for plastic also, it goes on before the paint does and helps bond the plastic and the paint together. i think clean strip makes a good product.

Nothingbuta3Gthang
02-25-2003, 08:17 AM
I've experimented with some smaller pieces of the dash, like the small filler plate for power mirrors. I cleaned it good, sanded it a little, and primed it. I put three coats of white on it, let it dry overnight, but the paint isnt scratch resistant at all...I can scrape it off easily with a fingernail. Any type of topcoat that can be put on over the paint to protect from scratches?

Tim Yoak
02-25-2003, 04:36 PM
you probably need to use a plastic or vinyl dye instead of paint. they penetrate the surface and give a really good bond. here are two links to the eastwood company http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/aspfiles/itemdy00.asp?UID=2003022519293391&T1=10476+Z http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/aspfiles/itemdy00.asp?UID=2003022519293391&T1=10479+Z
the first is for your white dash dye, the second is for the plastic primer. they are not cheap but they will work, eastwood carries top quality products. no wal mart crap. you really need the plastic primer to get a good bond. they have good tech support and will be glad to answer any questions you have. the problem you're having isn't the paint, it's the fact that it is difficult to get it to bond to the plastic surface. thats what the plastic primer is for. it will bond to the plastic, then the paint will bond to it.