PDA

View Full Version : The prelude is painted

pearldrop
02-21-2003, 09:54 PM
Well, the Prelude is in the shop getting painted with House of Kolor Sunset Pearl paint this weekend. After they sprayed the basecoat (orange) they noticed that no matter what they did the paint color would not lay out evenly. Every different angle was a different color.
So they call us in there tonight and show us. It doesn't look terrible but it isn't perfect and we want perfect. So they have this $8,000 machine that takes a photo and breaks down the color so they can mix the color with different paint. So, either we have them do that or we go back in the morning and choose a different color. We have all the paint chips right now and are looking through them but we will probably just stick with the same color.
It sure is frustrating though. I am glad the paint shop wants the car to turn out as good as we do. Most places would have just sprayed it and let it go.

Here is the paint before the clearcoat (clear completely changes the way paint looks for those that have never seen a car in between stages.)

http://www.geocities.com/caddy20s/hok.txt:crying:

dXsquared
02-21-2003, 10:31 PM
nice color... very LOWRIDERish

Travis

GreenMachine
02-21-2003, 11:15 PM
looks like it is gonna be a pretty nice color - lookin good

winkie45
02-21-2003, 11:35 PM
smooth

Elijah
02-21-2003, 11:43 PM
That sucks hope they can keep the color for you.Looks good.

rabbit_66_61
02-22-2003, 12:31 AM
hey i was wondering what shop is that where is it? cuz in the future i'm look for a show quality paint job. Don't worry the lude is gonna be sick no matter what..keep the good work up

pearldrop
02-22-2003, 08:11 AM
The car is getting painted at Motortrucks in Mount Vernon

This is the color after the clear is over it

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/162000-162999/162129_14_full.jpg

dXsquared
02-22-2003, 08:16 AM
OH SHIT! thats amazing!

Travis

johndej
02-22-2003, 08:36 AM
dude, your rides are always sweet as hell, no doubt this one is going to turn out great.

RobT5580
02-22-2003, 08:56 AM
That sucks but they should be able to clear things up for you. I was thinking about trying to get the body shop at work to paint my car but i decided im just gonna let one of the two shops i picked out before do the job since they are very experienced with bodykits and honda's in particular. I may be able to get a deal at one shop since that have an account with Audi and i handle a lot of their parts. But both shops do custom work and are very good at what they do. Good luck!

dohc
02-22-2003, 09:42 AM
whats with the profanity thread? and isn't this a 3gee forum? why is your lude here? oh well i guess ill never know what 3gee is

Jims 86LXI HB
02-22-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by dohc
whats with the profanity thread? and isn't this a 3gee forum? why is your lude here? oh well i guess ill never know what 3gee is

1. I Noticed, his choice in words. My first thought was, I wasn't happy. But when I read what his post was about, his choice in words do pin point his feelings and it's not like he does it all time.

2. Yes this is a 3g forum, but I'm allowing some flexibility by allowing people to create threads for posting pics of honda cars, not just 3g accords. I will move any other make of car out of this section to off topic if a thread is created here.

3. Pearldrop used to own a 3g accord that in many respects was a legend. He has enormous respect with a vast majority of this boards members. LOTS of members are VERY interested in what he's doing, even when it's not a 3g.

iloveJDMblackrims69
02-22-2003, 02:29 PM
dohc......................... dude....... if you would have been here...... you would have known pearl plus he had one bad ass 3 gee thatll make your jaws drop ( well, in my opinion)..... and we like to seee pics of his bad ass lude and accord wagon.

iloveJDMblackrims69
02-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Jims 86LXI HB ................ i agree 100% with you

pearldrop
02-22-2003, 07:58 PM
Sorry about the language, I didn't even think about the rules.
I will change it if I can.
We managed to reproduce the color and it got sprayed today with a color that I actually like better. They are going to wet sand and buff it out this weekend and we will probably get it back on Tuesday.

http://www.geocities.com/caddy20s/paint3.txt

markmdz89hatch
02-22-2003, 08:11 PM
damn Pearl, what's this paint job costing you?

pearldrop
02-22-2003, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure yet. The minimum for the bodywork and paint will be $4500. We already spent $3000 for the bodywork. It took a lot of saving and cutting back to get that much scraped together. The good part is that we paid cash for the bodywork and now we are paying cash for the paint.

dohc
02-22-2003, 08:24 PM
pearldrop, nice paint job. your lude's looking tyte. any mods?

A20A1
02-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Shine shinety shine shine shine...

Looks good pearl

pearldrop
02-22-2003, 11:05 PM
No performance mods except for intake and exhaust and a short shifter.
We shaved a bunch of stuff including, handles, washer squirters, emblems, license plate box, antenna, door locks, trunk locks, rear corner lights.
It also has air cylinders and a start on a tweed interior.

(x_x)
02-23-2003, 01:28 AM
:) Nothing but respect for this man. Keep posting up the pics.. that way we get to live the dream too. :D

sanjay
02-23-2003, 04:21 AM
i wish i had that kinda dough.....
:drool:

iloveJDMblackrims69
02-23-2003, 06:53 AM
you know what pearl................... that lude would have looked badass in a dark burgundy color....... thats just my opinion but that paint is very good work..... keep it up pearl

YK86
02-23-2003, 10:21 AM
Looks great Chris!!! I think the color is very nice. Hopefully, I'll get to see it up close some day.

smufguy
02-23-2003, 09:10 PM
His cars are always a jaw dropper. Dont even get me started on that amazing 3g with that interior all done up. Damn, that was one nice ass cleanest 3g i have ever come across. Keep up the aawsome job buddy. That one low lude has two of its pictures saved on my hard drive. heheehe, my friend almost fell on the floor looking at how low that car was.

88LXiHB
02-23-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by dohc
pearldrop, nice paint job. your lude's looking tyte. any mods?

Yeah, start kissing his ass now....

87AccordsterLx
02-24-2003, 07:52 AM
The paint "job" looks great... Im just not a fan of that color... Sorry Pearl... I guess I was never drawn to the bright colors... I think a dodge viper pearl blue would just be the shit on that car... but keep doing your thing man. Its looking good. :)

88 Accord DX
02-24-2003, 09:02 AM
yes the Burgundy would have been a good choice. it seems im the only one in the world that payed to get their car burgundy. but the UT burnt orange is pimp. there are people around here that would love to have that color on their car.

meohmy01
02-24-2003, 05:11 PM
on my 5th generation accord i did a single stage 500 dollar black paint job. it has already faded subtantially since august.

45psi
02-24-2003, 07:53 PM
hey pearl drop, you know nate?

HVerLX
02-24-2003, 08:05 PM
umm you in MT. Vernon Washington if you are ill be there in 5 mins to take a look at it :D.

pearldrop
02-25-2003, 07:42 AM
HVerLX Ñ You live in Skagit County Too? What do you drive?

I absolutely love the color we painted the Prelude. It is one of those colors that you either love it or hate it. I would rather have that than a bland color that everybody will think is ok but nobody hates it.

We should be getting it back tonight. They wet sanded the paint yesterday and will be polishing it out today. I am getting kind of excited. Now I will just need to put it back together. It is almost completely stripped right now.
I seriously think we may have a chance at best paint at a show this year. I have never been in contention for that and I have always really wanted it.

markmdz89hatch
02-25-2003, 07:54 AM
pic picety pic pic pic....

Please please please post up pics asap on that 'lude. Oh yeah, just one question though on the engine compartment. Did that get painted too? Did you take out the engine? Details, details, details...

HVerLX
02-25-2003, 08:39 AM
i drive a 87 Honda Accord 4 DR sedan im going to cort for the title soon :D. and yes i live in skagit county :).

pearldrop
02-25-2003, 08:51 AM
I will get some pics of it as soon as it is all the way back together. We had planned on painting the engine compartment but the engine is way too big to do with the engine in it. A lot of cars have enough room to paint around it if you pull everything off the engine but not the Prelude. We painted the bottom of the hood, the fender lips and the radiator core support but the actual engine bay is still red. We won't be opening the hood at shows this year. Next winter I am pulling the engine and then the engine bay will be painted along with the engine block and transmission. There is a possibility that I will throw a low pressure turbo on it at the same time but I'm not sure about that yet.

HVerLX
02-25-2003, 08:57 AM
well if me and my grandparents can clean our gerage thats 80ftx73ft or somthing like that i got engin pullers and every thing...

pearldrop
02-25-2003, 09:03 AM
That sure would help. Right now I am doing all my work in a single car garage. It doesn't leave much room to work. Keep an eye out for me. It is hard to miss a bright red Accord Wagon or a burnt orange Prelude. Also, if you have any questions about your car, just ask, I know 3rd gens inside and out and I can help you with anything like lowering or installing stereos.

HVerLX
02-25-2003, 09:05 AM
i got the stereo part down :D i build custom boxes but do you know how to replace a throtle cable heheh mines broke the people befor me abused this car..

HVerLX
02-25-2003, 09:17 AM
Oh Yea thanks for the offer :D

pearldrop
02-25-2003, 09:21 AM
I was talking about something more than just speaker boxes...
http://www.89accord.com/special/caddy3.jpg
I would love to be able to use the shop but I would want to do something in return. It wouldn't be until next year anyway.

pearldrop
02-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Oh yeah, the throttle cable is easy. Just unhook it from the back of the pedal and then take the clip off of the firewall and pull it through. I don't remember which side the clip is on but it is easy to do, it shouldn't take you more than ten minutes.

HVerLX
02-25-2003, 09:35 AM
maybe me and you can team and make some money i got alot of friends that need stereos installed and i know alot about electronics means my dad was a electrition in the navy and now does wiring on yaghts :D sooo if you want we can do some projects together..

pearldrop
02-25-2003, 10:34 AM
Making money is always good. If you have projects that people want done and you have space I am always willing to work with you on it.

HVerLX
02-25-2003, 10:39 AM
i even got the wood for every thing like dash mods every thing i have a friend comming over soon he needs the whole thing setup with extra batery that gets charged off the altinater he has 2 1600 watt amps and 4 10" subs and a couple other things.