PDA

View Full Version : stupid question but please help

juiquan
02-22-2003, 11:11 AM
now if i were to get a b16 and i want to put aftermarket parts on it i woul have to search for afterparket for the b16 correct? such as intake, cam gears? and another question who here has on this forum done the swap , if you have please say so and if so will you help me out if i come across some questions.
And one more question has anyone heard or have done a drive train conversion to rear wheel drive or 4 wheel drive is this possible? Has it been done?

juiquan
02-22-2003, 11:29 AM
1 more question about how much did the total swap cost ,
i know osaka sells b16a1 for 1025, then pri mounts 637,drive , axles bout 360, and shiftrod about 153, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know

shepherd79
02-22-2003, 01:47 PM
just curious, you know you have carb engine.
it is gonna take a lot of money to make it EFI B16 car.

juiquan
02-22-2003, 02:46 PM
yea i know its carbbed.
all i gotta do is just use the efi system from the b16 don't i
and then replace some lines or something

Scorpion88LX
02-22-2003, 02:53 PM
well you have to change all the engine wiring harness and the one in the dash harness change the fuel lines and the guage cluster if you want the efi light. plus other stuff.

shepherd79
02-22-2003, 03:58 PM
the problem i see is that you will have to figure out how to adapt B16 computer to work with the rest of the electrical system on 3G.

original2k
02-22-2003, 04:22 PM
oh yeah and while your at it guys, can u help me drop an H22a into my 82 civic diesel? i heard all i gotta do is flip that mother upside down and install the #1 vaccuum line into the #2 spot, i know i'll have to find a way to drain the oil since it's up top but i'll figure it out :lol

juiquan
02-22-2003, 10:09 PM
hrmm....

carotman
02-23-2003, 07:43 AM
yeha nice reply huh?

The best thing would be to use the search option and look for B series or B16, or B18 swap. You'll find all the info you need there.

And Original2k, don'T make me post that 84 CRX picture I got, it has a nice H22A in it :)

juiquan
02-23-2003, 04:02 PM
well my orignal plan was to just get the tranny swapped. cuz my auo tranny is slipping prettty bad. I did the search. but everyone had their own experiences. that they didnt have to go thru or posted what my questions wrere. and scorpion ? are the dummy lights really neccessary?

juiquan
02-23-2003, 09:01 PM
ok then the next question has anyone had a shop do the swap for them and if they did how much did they charge ... just curious if it be worth it to do that since i don't know much about mechanics, but i rather do it my self. learn thru the process and in the end the reward will be much greater

netfreak
02-23-2003, 09:51 PM
If you can live with your 3g in the garage for a while, I recommend trying it yourself. Labour is money so save your wallet.

loco87
02-23-2003, 10:30 PM
juiquan, i get the feeling that you arent very mechanicaly inclined. i dont mean to sound like a asshole, but if you dont know what youre doin, dont start messin with your car, especially with swappin a b16 into a carbed car. thats a shitload of work that should be left to someone with the expertise to do it.

juiquan
02-24-2003, 08:02 PM
yea i know. but this stuff kinda comes naturally to me. as long as i got a book i can do everythign plus my friend who gots more motor skills wil help me

johndej
02-25-2003, 04:13 PM
ok, do you have the time and money to go along w/ that book? its going to be a whole lot of work. a better bet would be to get a whole new car. it wouldn't be too too bad for the swap, but i think your sol on the rear wheel drive option. i don't know of anyone else who has ever tired it but it would mean changing a whole lot of stuff.

juiquan
02-28-2003, 09:33 PM
I have the time and the money to do the swap but what i need is a complete swap guide. to figure out exactly what needs to be done and what parts i exactly need. and about the new car i just got done with the dealer ship i got aproved for 2003 acura rsx-s but 15.9% interest rates i can't handle that
so i took a look at the used lots i could afford it but my parents wont cosign with me no more since i got no credit. but if i can get likea 3000-5000 dollar loan to do this engine swap i will go thru with it since i do like the 3g a lot

dXsquared
02-28-2003, 10:16 PM
sell this car and get a 1989 LXI coupe or HB
the swap will be much easier
Travis

johndej
03-01-2003, 08:30 AM
yeah, i didn't mean like a brand new car, i ment that the car you have now isn't the greatest to start a swap on. DXHATCHBACK is right that you should atleast have FI first to make it a bit easier cause you wont have to worry about your carb. oh yeah, those rsx-s are sweet as hell, did you test drive the one you were looking at? i rode in one last week (kid on my soccer team got one for his Bday) and they are awsome.

juiquan
03-01-2003, 03:48 PM
yea i test drove it but its a lot of work selling the car then buying one to see if if therse one in good shap around my area

juiquan
03-01-2003, 03:51 PM
ahh it sounds like im doomed to be with this automatic 89 accord lx for ever @#$@#%

juiquan
03-02-2003, 10:48 AM
you know what im going to do b16a swap efi conversion f all you that discourage me thank you for those who encouraged.

juiquan
03-02-2003, 12:31 PM
ok will someone please answer this question would it be better to convert to efi b4 the swap or during the swap since there has to be a efi system on the new motor.
but if u convert it first will you beable to use the wiring harness connectors from placeracing

juiquan
03-02-2003, 02:35 PM
scratch that last post....
ok after hard thinking all night i came up with how the efi conversion works when doing a b-series engine swap you guys make it seem like its really difficult. But this is what I'm Thinking.
when I do the engine swap all I have to do is buy the fuel pump for the b16a1 and then run the feedback line or what ever its called back to my gas tank. And then it will be fuel injection then i can use the comptuer from the b16a is there something that you guys aren't telling me ? why do you guys make it sound like a lot of work. pretty much what I think you have to do is just buy the fuel system for the b16a and use that on our cars. It shouldn't be too hard if im not correct please correct me the fuel pump on our 3gz is outside of the fuel tank correct or nto correct please reply to this and let me know what you guys think.
I may not know a lot about cars but im willing to learn.

goldyaccord
03-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Oh man......

Ok, Here's what to do.

For EFI conversion, Here's the list sorta that you will need to get.

-Engine bay wire harness
-Intake manifold out of FI car.
-Gas tank
-fuel lines
-If you want the Engine check light.. get the gauge cluster too.
-cabin harness
-sensors stuff like that
-fuel pump

You know, you will have to take the interior and dash out to access the fuel lines and change over the wire harness.

Since your car is Auto, You have to change over to a 5 speed.

Once you start get done with that, THEN come back and talk to us about to do the b16 swap.

I dont want to offend you, but from the way you are understanding things and what to use and such, I would HIGHly suggest you just get an 88-89 5speed LXI. then gather the parts for a b16 swap.

goldyaccord
03-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by juiquan
scratch that last post....
ok after hard thinking all night i came up with how the efi conversion works when doing a b-series engine swap you guys make it seem like its really difficult. But this is what I'm Thinking.
when I do the engine swap all I have to do is buy the fuel pump for the b16a1 and then run the feedback line or what ever its called back to my gas tank. And then it will be fuel injection then i can use the comptuer from the b16a is there something that you guys aren't telling me ? why do you guys make it sound like a lot of work. pretty much what I think you have to do is just buy the fuel system for the b16a and use that on our cars. It shouldn't be too hard if im not correct please correct me the fuel pump on our 3gz is outside of the fuel tank correct or nto correct please reply to this and let me know what you guys think.
I may not know a lot about cars but im willing to learn.

You still will have to swap out the wire harness for FI. and dont forget about needing a 5 speed to adapt to an auto....

juiquan
03-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Why do I need a gas tank if the fuel pump is outside of the gas tank. I know about taking the dash off. I'm not worried about the dummy lights at the moment im worried about getting it done and running why would u waste time to do the efi conversion on the a20a3 if I do that I might as well keep the a20a3 and give that some pep.The b16a is efi isn't it? so what i do is get the fuel pump, and lines set up and then use the wiring harness thats on the b16a but thats not what I want to do... and for the gauge cluster what gauge cluster does it have to be from 89-91 civic or is it custom made.
-Engine bay wire harness
-Intake manifold out of FI car.
-Gas tank
-fuel lines
-sensors stuff like that
-fuel pump
im gonna need all those parts for the b16a why spend money to buy the parts for that when its gonna be for the b engine

dXsquared
03-02-2003, 05:38 PM
the pump is in the tank on FI cars... if you didnt know that.. i think you should truly starrt with a FI car... its not like the old days when puting a 454 in a 305 car... you cant just move the mounts around and hook the starter up... its a huge ass job that isnt for the un mechanically minded! if you have no idea why you need to convert to efi first.. then i think its time to sell the car and go for a 5 speed LXi or SEi car...

Travis

dXsquared
03-02-2003, 05:40 PM
and if you have dumb ass questions like DO I GET PARTS FOR THE B16 then its time to hire a pro

Travis

goldyaccord
03-02-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
and if you have dumb ass questions like DO I GET PARTS FOR THE B16 then its time to hire a pro

Travis

those b16 comments made me think he needs to learn alot more... almost like I dont think he knows what he's getting into sort of thing.

juiquan
03-02-2003, 06:17 PM
I didnt write that in bold or caps u fuk just calm down and take a breather you know what thanks for the encouragment I'll figure it out on my own thanks a bunch u all

dXsquared
03-02-2003, 06:19 PM
lol

you have no idea what u are in for!

Travis

juiquan
03-02-2003, 06:26 PM
acutally i do i just don't know the details when i finish i will take pictures and post

goldyaccord
03-02-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by juiquan
I didnt write that in bold or caps u fuk just calm down and take a breather you know what thanks for the encouragment I'll figure it out on my own thanks a bunch u all

It wasnt about you writing in bold or not. It was about you saying this and than and we are trying to help you do it without alot of headaches...

it's like this.....

It's better to start small then go on to bigger projects...

I'm not saying your stupid or anything remotely close, we all learned too. but with that experience comes wisdom to warn of this and that. That's all we are doing

Dont hate us. :sadwave:

juiquan
03-02-2003, 07:07 PM
See thats all i needed to know when i said are u guys not telling me something i didn't know AND someone said the fuel pump is in the fuel tank well that solves a big mystery for me now all i do is find fuel tank from lxi you guys don't have to get all high and mighty over such a small question

juiquan
03-02-2003, 08:11 PM
I learn by experience i already did my small project... change water pump and drive shafts and im ready to go and im not gonan be doing this motor swap all by my self my friend helping me thru and he's done a engine swap himself but it was a carbeurated swap and a domestic swap

goldyaccord
03-02-2003, 08:25 PM
okay, gotcha.

good luck

if you got problems... we got answers lol

that was cheesy

juiquan
03-02-2003, 08:38 PM
i suppose i should have specified that i was having help. from another person to . He's never done a swap like this b4 but he's drop plenty of 350's b4 so i won't be completly in the dark
and which car is yours goldy accord the one in ur avatar or the one inur signature

goldyaccord
03-02-2003, 09:05 PM
the avatar..

it's a 89 hb with coilovers and 17's sedan bumper conversion

problem is.... bobafett and 87hybrid has it now ... the tranny went out so i just let them take it and take the wheels and everything

87hybrid is using the car to do experiments and such.

I might geta nother hatch though.