PDA

View Full Version : adjusting caster

profquad
12-03-2018, 01:09 PM
hey yall. recently replaced all my suspension bushings and lower control arms. brought it to a shop to get the ball joints pressed in, and ever since then my steering has been really stiff. It wont really zero out either when im driving straight ahead, and more recently, the power steering belt slips if im parrallel parking.

I had gotten an "alignment" basically a total rip, where they look at a computer say its all good and charge a hundred bucks.. so I want to check the caster a bit myself.

I know I can do it with the radius rods, and had taken them completely out to replace the bushings, but Im not sure how far to go, or a good way to measure/eyeball/test it

Dr_Snooz
12-03-2018, 08:48 PM
Well, I ran my car into a curb last week and my steering is tight now too. I'm pretty sure I bent a tie rod slightly on mine. Can't really say what happened to yours but a good visual inspection would be a start.

AC439
12-04-2018, 03:28 AM
I think at least you can check your toe to see if the front wheels are parallel. I have been doing this for a while. 2 mans job but you can DIY at home.

I think I have seen some caster gauge but not sure how to use it. I had messed around with radius rod before. When I extend it (wheels will be moved towards rear of car), I had to adjust toe to compensate. But after a few try and error, it just works.

If power steering belt slips, there are too much force for the power steering gear box to overcome.

Oldblueaccord
12-08-2018, 11:12 AM
https://www.3geez.com/forum/suspension-wheels-tires-brakes/42403-changed-ny-radius-rod-bushing-2.html

second page I have a picture of my radius rods maybe count the threads and see if it matches yours. I think changing the caster will effect the toe as well so you will need another alignment someday.

profquad
12-12-2018, 02:34 PM
just checked the amount of radius rod sticking out the front nut, and they were very different. tightened up the loose one which had less threads coming out, steering in the air w engine off became easier with just that.

Oldblueaccord
12-13-2018, 08:44 AM
just checked the amount of radius rod sticking out the front nut, and they were very different. tightened up the loose one which had less threads coming out, steering in the air w engine off became easier with just that.

Yeah thats a good point they should be even where ever they are.

profquad
12-13-2018, 02:16 PM
It seemed to make good sense! Unfortunately, theres still a lot of resistance steering, and some belt slippage while turning the wheels without moving... The passenger side tie rod had quite a bit of fluid on it, smells like ATF, which I use in the steering. Not sure how to find the source, but it might be that joint underneath the fuel filter.. Also the tranny is pretty leaky which is a whole other mutter mutter.. I guess this is a find parts and replace moment? I feel like I was thrown off by the correlation with the ball joints getting pressed in, maybe they pinched a tube while futzing with the knuckle?

Any trouble to expect looking for power steering parts i.e. mislabelled or nonexistent parts?

Oldblueaccord
12-14-2018, 10:52 AM
It seemed to make good sense! Unfortunately, theres still a lot of resistance steering, and some belt slippage while turning the wheels without moving... The passenger side tie rod had quite a bit of fluid on it, smells like ATV, which I use in the steering. Not sure how to find the source, but it might be that joint underneath the fuel filter.. Also the tranny is pretty leaky which is a whole other mutter mutter.. I guess this is a find parts and replace moment? I feel like I was thrown off by the correlation with the ball joints getting pressed in, maybe they pinched a tube while futzing with the knuckle?

Any trouble to expect looking for power steering parts i.e. mislabelled or nonexistent parts?

Its too late now but you want to use Honda only power steering fluid or equivalent. Anything else wont work and all your seals will leak.

profquad
12-14-2018, 01:26 PM
Its too late now but you want to use Honda only power steering fluid or equivalent. Anything else wont work and all your seals will leak.

womp womp

profquad
12-14-2018, 04:18 PM
holy hell, resealing the rack and pinion gearbox looks wayyyy too difficult, included at least 4 supposedly indispensable "special tools"... so I just ordered one from Detroit Axle.

Can't find much on the control valve seals. Thanks for letting me know about that, I'm going to go yell at my friend who told me ATF was good for everything:uh:

Dr_Snooz
12-17-2018, 08:03 PM
Let us know how that rack works out. I like to know who's legit and who's selling crap.